Overtaking stationary traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

magnatom said:
I think technically you are probably right, but practically speaking it is just so easy to move over a little and there's no problem for anyone.

I agree, hence the comments I also made about that being the standard way to act on the roads, its just part of the normal courtesy you'd show someone.

Weeelllll, having watched it (twice) I think that if I'd been her then I'd have had a couple of words under my breath too. You were on her side of the road. So far as she could see, there would have been a fascist kitten bloke on a bike coming straight towards her and expecting her to make allowances. That's bad road manners Maggers. As for knowing the road and traffic, well that's fine for you, but you can't assume that other road users will know that.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Chuffy said:
Weeelllll, having watched it (twice) I think that if I'd been her then I'd have had a couple of words under my breath too. You were on her side of the road. So far as she could see, there would have been a fascist kitten bloke on a bike coming straight towards her and expecting her to make allowances. That's bad road manners Maggers. As for knowing the road and traffic, well that's fine for you, but you can't assume that other road users will know that.

I must admit I think your being a bit harsh Chuffy. I take that line (probably 30 cm over the white line) nearly every day. Never had a problem. I'll only take it when I can see that there is plenty of room for cars to move over, and they don't need to move over very much, if at all.

Can I ask why would you grump? Would I be endangering you in any way? Would I be holding you up? Would I be endangering myself? Why would you be annoyed at this?
The only thing I can think of is that you might feel that I have invaded your space. Surely we all share the roads and a little bit of give and take goes a long way?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
I've got no sound on the PC here. From the video perhaps you shouldn't of done but if she launches a tirade over that she's wound up too tight.

The mic doesn't pick it up, but she starts waving her arms about and I could hear her muffled shouting.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Chuffy said:
You mean that isn't you in post 15? xx(

Ahh, now I get it. No thats Dom. I'm a lot scarier than that just look at my avatar, I don't have any skin or bones, or muscles at all, I'm just a walking brain.....:sad:

magnatom said:
I must admit I think your being a bit harsh Chuffy. I take that line (probably 30 cm over the white line) nearly every day. Never had a problem. I'll only take it when I can see that there is plenty of room for cars to move over, and they don't need to move over very much, if at all.

Can I ask why would you grump? Would I be endangering you in any way? Would I be holding you up? Would I be endangering myself? Why would you be annoyed at this?
The only thing I can think of is that you might feel that I have invaded your space. Surely we all share the roads and a little bit of give and take goes a long way?

But you aren't giving them any choice. You may consider that there is ample room for you, provided they move over, but it's not your call. A little give and take does go a long way, but in this case you were taking. Was there any reason why you couldn't have waited for the road to clear before overtaking the lorry or was saving a few seconds more important than that?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I probably would have waited given how far over the truck is. It's not certain though, and I have on occasion made oncoming traffic move over a little, but I usually feel slightly guilty when I've done that.

OTOH I make room for motor and bicyclists doing exactly that sort of manoeuvre when I'm in the car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That road is wide enough - wouldn't worry too much - I have to do that on a section of road through Gatley in S. Manchester, and that's narrow - otherwise it would be a 10 minute wait if I didn't squeeze down. Most people move over.

Near home, I even had a chap in a HGV move out to let me past on the left - I waited behind (tractor unit), but he then pulled over and held back, so I scooted up the inside and gave him a big thanks - only did that cos he let me through - no left turns there !

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Don't you just love it when some tw*t decides to move right over to stop you filtering - and the guy behind deliberately leaves a gap to let you shoot round the other side?

xx(:laugh::sad:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'd have slashed all her tyres with a Katana, before hurling my bike thro' her windscreen.

Oooops, thought I was on 'Bloodbus' for a minute..xx(

IGMC

:sad::laugh::eek:

Top Bottom