Overtaking Stationary Traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, this applies to any vehicle, not just motor vehicles.

MUST NOT means there is a specific law prohibiting it, DO NOT and SHOULD NOT are advisory (though courts are likely to assign blame on the basis of compliance or otherwise).

Not it doesn't. Those rules are in the section for Drivers and Riders i.e. motor vehicles.

The Highway Code is necessarily a simplification of the law anyway which is why the MUST rules are referenced with which law in particular it refers to so you can check the chapter and verse for the detail.

It is straight forward, although worded to confuse.

2) No vehicle can overtake the vehicle closest to the crossing when that vehicle has stopped to allow someone to use the crossing.

With the exception to enter a designated ASL area??

Is the fact that it hasn't been tested therefore make the law non-existent?

I don't know if it hasn't been tested, I haven't researched it. I just meant I don't personally know of any case.

Any way, no, non 'testing' of a law doesn't make it non existent. It just means that interpretations are open to be argued in court on both sides of the case, which may or may not work!

Which is where you get zig zag lines... which the resent conversation is about..

I thought we where talking about the law in general when it came to filtering past stationary traffic, the law quoted from the highway code does not mention zigzag lines only the fact it is a pedestrian crossing.

Not that it matters,just being pedantic thats all:smile:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I know I shouldn't filter on the inside but we sometimes take chances that we shouldn't.
I think it's fine if you are careful, as it seems you were since even this idiot didn't manage to hit you. Remember HC rule 163 says: "If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left". This indicates the difference between filtering on the left and overtaking on the left.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I thought we where talking about the law in general when it came to filtering past stationary traffic, the law quoted from the highway code does not mention zigzag lines only the fact it is a pedestrian crossing.

Not that it matters,just being pedantic thats all:smile:
Look slightly further back and then you will see the mentioning of zig zag lines ;)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The Highway Code is necessarily a simplification of the law anyway which is why the MUST rules are referenced with which law in particular it refers to so you can check the chapter and verse for the detail.
I've had a brief look and can't see anything which specifies that the regulations referred to apply to motor vehicles only - do you have a direct link?

henshaw11

I think it's fine if you are careful, as it seems you were since even this idiot didn't manage to hit you. Remember HC rule 163 says: "If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left". This indicates the difference between filtering on the left and overtaking on the left.

I think that's intended to refer to to adjacent lanes rather than filtering.
Either way, the highway code's been amended in recent years that draws attention to the possibility of cyclists filtering on either side - ie doing so *is* fair game..and after all, is where the cycle lane's always placed...

Top Bottom