Owned...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Me, that is.

I stopped shortly after beginning my commute from Wilmslow Station to fix my bike computer, which had managed to freeze up. As I was replacing the battery, a chap fairly whizzed past on a Red and White Trek MTB. Once I got going again, I wondered idly about the chances of catching up, and as Wilmslow Road can be taken at fair speed, managed to do so.

He was doing 18mph ish, according to my computer, and as I generally rattle along here at between 20 and 22, I thought I'd go around rather than sit on his wheel. So I change up, put the hammer down somewhat, and am bowling along at a decent 26ish on a nice false flat (in the rider's favour in this direction) leading up to the Finney Lane lights. Quick look over my shoulder to make sure I'm clear before moving out around parked cars, and there's the guy on the Trek, suspension fork, knobbly tyres and all ;)

And he wasn't even out of breath at the lights, the bugger ;)

We parted company near the Cheadle Royal roundabout, but I take my hat off to him - it's all I can do at my present level of fitness and competence to make a lightweight road bike move at that speed, I doubt I'd shift an MTB at much above 20 (downhill with a following wind)...

In other commuting news, saw the scarily fast guy on the steel hybrid again, and managed to outpace him this time, although I suspect he was letting me off easy... :blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hehehehe, must be a strong rider!

I was racing a scooter rider yesterday, that was a lot of fun, he was mightily impressed. Shouldn't have been though, because I'm not that fast.

Maz

Guru
i'm confused by the title...what does 'owned' mean here? typo?
excuse my ignorance.

Cyclista

Maz said:
excuse my ignorance.

Owned is the proper spelling of the internet insult "Pwned" which comes from online shooters and means that you got your arse handed to you on a plate without any form of resistance.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Maz said:

Just that the guy I thought I was going to outdistance easily obviously outclassed me - he "owned" me by keeping up the pace on a much heavier, knobblier tyred bike.

Maz

Guru
John the Monkey said:
Just that the guy I thought I was going to outdistance easily obviously outclassed me - he "owned" me by keeping up the pace on a much heavier, knobblier tyred bike.

ah. been there...got overtaken by a MTB a while ago and i was flabbergasted at how easily he pulled away off into the distance. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Heh.....heh..... you have to watch out for stealthy roadies on big heavy commuting mtb's kicking road bikes' asses..... did a couple of them today - but did say morning as I passed

domtyler

Über Member
My favourite trick at the moment is to find someone who is bowling along quite nicely and then match their pace for as long as possible until, say, the lights up ahead are going to change, at which point I put the hammer down and make them eat my dust. :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
ah. been there...got overtaken by a MTB a while ago and i was flabbergasted at how easily he pulled away off into the distance. :evil:

When that happens to me, it's usually a yoof in a tracksuit, so I tell myself it doesn't count, because they aren't a real cyclist, just a yoof high on e-numbers and god knows what else besides.:smile:

Other times, it's an old lady on a Raleigh 20, and that doesn't count either.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Arch said:
Other times, it's an old lady on a Raleigh 20, and that doesn't count either.

I did see a sad looking Raleigh Twenty out by the bins locally the other day (was out walking the dog). I'm still quite tempted to nip back for it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
John the Monkey said:
I did see a sad looking Raleigh Twenty out by the bins locally the other day (was out walking the dog). I'm still quite tempted to nip back for it...

Great for modifying with a hacksaw and a welder to make a recumbent, or something a bit mad....:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
ah. been there...got overtaken by a MTB a while ago and i was flabbergasted at how easily he pulled away off into the distance. :biggrin:

that once happened to me, on the climb out of chapel-en-le-frith towards macc. i already had 40 miles of horrific climbing in my legs (cat and fiddle, pym chair, castle naze, eccles pike and assorted others) and two guys on full sussers rode past. i just looked at them and said "oh bugger". i hope they got the right idea :smile:

Plax

Guru
Well for the first time ever I saw a cyclist in the village I live cycling in the same direction as me. He looked like a proper cyclist - hi-viz, pannier rack, beard & wild hair (not that the latter two should in any way contribute of course). Well, I couldn't help cycling past him and saying "good morning, you all right" as a greeting. He kind of just looked at me bewildered so I left him for dust. I have no idea if he tried to keep up, thought it would be unsporting of me to noticably look over my shoulder to check. At the turning out of the village I had a quick peep though and he was a fair distance behind.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
reminds me of the time I was cycling home along the A232, climbing the hill towards Locksbottom in Bromley, saw a an old fella in front fully panniered pootling along. Got the timing right to take him at the lights, shot past him, up the hill, really pushing, got to the top, looked round, scared the bejesus out of me as he was right behind me. Gave me a big smile, a wave & turned left at the lights.....

Top Bottom