Oww, waa waa waa!!!! It hurts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

in difficulty

Hey everybody,
I am a 48 year old heart attack and open heart surgery survivor, YAY, and I am giving cycling a go as a way to keep the old ticker working properly because running just sucks. JMO.
I have friends who ride but I am a total newby.

I am tall and thin, riding on all borrowed equipment. A 30 pound 80s model Pugeot, Garmin Edge 305 with the heart thingy (sweet, thanks to Scott)
cycling shorts (my daughter laughed and laughed) and a jersey.

I went on a couple of short rides, 5 to 10 miles to see what I got.
Last weekend I decided to go a little farther. I did a 25 mile loop at an average of 15 mph. I know that is short and slow but I am totally stoked about my effort.

Now to my questions,
I need a new seat. I found myself having to coast while standing on a pedal to releive the pain. What is a comfortable model?

My hands are sore. I guess I need gloves as well. Any thoughts?

And last but not least......pedals. These toe clips and running shoes have to go. I need those fancy shmancy clip in models. Which ones?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I know I need a new bike but this will have to do for awhile.

See you on the road.

bonj2

I've got a specalized toupe on my road bike, find it very comfy, so comfy i got another one for my mtb but it's not as good for mtbing asit's not as easy to grip, so i'll sell it you if you want. £50+fiver postage (about $100), i'll even take it back if you don't like it. pm me if you're interested.

Gloves - specialized BG gloves are apparently good. Also have you got drop handlebars? If so they give you the chance to vary your hand position a lot, take advantage of it and shift around when your hands are getting a bit stale. Could also look into cushioned bar tape.

pedals - I'd personally strongly recommend sticking to shimano. I've got ultegra 6620 on my bike and they're good.

shooter560

Congrats on the recovery, I also suffered an attack in Dec 07, luckily I didn't need a bypass though 4 stients were inserted. I also started to cycle, so know what you mean about doing rides and being over the moon :evil:

As mentioned Specialized BG gloves and saddle for me are perfect, it is a case of trial and error on the saddle at least but most find they work a treat, though no matter what saddle allow a couple of weeks for the area to get used to the pressure.

Shimano pedal systems are good, whatever ones you go for make sure you have float this will allow for some incorrect alignment, but I'd recommend getting your LBS to help set them up to try and save injury.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Hello,
I use a Specilized Avator(think thats how its spelt) and its very comfy. Couldn't afford a Toupe:sad:. Spent alot of time on it and i like it.
Gloves i use my club ones. They are made by pro vision i think. But not sure if you can just buy them straight from there. They arent bad, and i dont have any problems with my hands.
I used to have Look Keo pedals, but they kept breaking. I went to Shimano 105 pedals and they are much better. Better to get in and out of and they look better. To get the right alignment of the cleat, i put the pedal on, put my foot on the pedal and push down, get someone/yourself to mark where the axel is on your shoe. Line up the centre of the cleat with the mark and then bolt the cleat on. To get the right side to side i just keep stopping and adjusting it.

gbb

Legendary Member
in difficulty said:
Hey everybody,..........

I went on a couple of short rides, 5 to 10 miles to see what I got.
Last weekend I decided to go a little farther. I did a 25 mile loop at an average of 15 mph. I know that is short and slow but I am totally stoked about my effort. ......

See you on the road.

Hi ID...
Dont put yourself down bud..15 mph average over 25 miles aint bad at all for a relative newcomer.
If you're comparing yourself to more experienced friends who have been riding for years, it could take some to get there.
At 50, i've been riding regularly for 5 years, and i cant get much more than 17mph average over 25 to 45 miles. That extra 1 or 2 mph average take a LOT of effort to achieve.
Maybe i'm not trying hard enough, maybe starting at 40 years plus is never going to allow me to achieve the speeds younger guys can.
All i know is (and i guess you will too) is you feel fitter, happier and stronger than many many guys half your age.b;)

Tynan

Veteran
any mitts with gel will be a huge improvement so don't obsses about brands

ditto a saddle, an old bike might have a saddle that's seen too much riding and started to collapse

and you have to allow a fair few weeks of riding before your body gets used to it all

OP
OP
I

in difficulty

Maybe a pedal peddler is what I need.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Hello,
I use a Specilized Avator(think thats how its spelt) and its very comfy. Couldn't afford a Toupe:sad:. Spent alot of time on it and i like it.

what's the main difference between a toupe and an avatar? They look pretty similar on the JE james website.
I find the toupe really comfy for road but can't get on with it on the MTB as it's not as grippy.

Hi ID. I am 48 next week and am trying to not cop a dose of what you had! (Family history) So you will inspire or drive me to get out the door and on the bike next time I feel less than enthusiastic.

I could not manage 7 miles in April 07 and just did a 100 mile run last weekend. So it comes along in time.

My tips.
Record. Keep a record of the ride distance date and how you felt at the end. It will show imporvements you forget happen otherwise.
Saddle, I have a gel saddle sewn onto my standard one but dont go for the padded shorts. It was fine for the 100 miles although I have felt worse in early days on 20 miles. Just dont over do it and it will get better in time.
Hands, my biggest problem on over 50 mile rides. May be down to the bike size. the saddle to bar distance is the one most tricky to adjust and if you are tall you may be over your bars too much. I found it better to go from my slightly too small mountain bike to a drop bar racer.
Gears. Get lots of them! Hills can be depressing to slog up and a bike geared for your ability is a must. Nothing else on the bike is as important as having the ability to get up a hill without it being too much effort.
Clips. I have just got normal trainers and strap type pedal clips. Special shoes and pedals cost more than my bike cost and what for?
Event. Enter one! There are lots of them around over the summer and they are great to give you a target and something to look forward to to get you out on a rainy day.

Ask 100 cyclist a question and you will get 100 different answers!

Good Luck
And I still cant get to 15 mph average!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome ID

45 yrs and 1 Stent... so far.
Your 25 miler at 15mph average is very respectable. It's what's great about cycling is that speed and distance grows steadily with a little regular effort. Going further is about fuelling, faster usually comes with training or riding with others, especially a club.

Saddles are a personal choice, I use a Brooks B17 leather job on a Giant race bike, odd, but comfy. Pedals, I'd go for Shimano SPD-SL types, 105's or Ultegra will be more than fine. Mitts, I find even cheap padded mitts are OK as long as you are correctly 'set-up' on the bike.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Keep asking questions and keep having fun! Look after that heart, eh!

Top Bottom