"Oy mate, you're going to get killed doing that"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheeler

On my way home from work last night, this was shouted to me by the driver of a car. So, a quick quiz. Guess what I had done immediately beforehand, was it:

• Sailed straight through a red light, narrowly missing a HGV.
  • Bunny hopped off the pavement into a 60MPH traffic stream, giving the finger to anyone who sounded their horn.
  • Executed a textbook right turn. Did a shoulder check, road completely clear. Due to oncoming traffic overtaking parked cars, stopped somewhat to the left of the centre line. Waited for a gap in the oncoming traffic, when a gap appeared turned right.

No prizes for guessing (c). The strange thing is, the car driver was one of three that had stopped behind me with no fuss at all and had then patiently waited for me to turn. Perhaps he makes a habit of driving into the back of vehicles that are legitimately stopped on the carriageway. This was a semi-rural A road, 40MPH limit with decent sight lines (slight left curve where I was stopped, but there was a good couple of hundred yards visibility).

I wish I could say that I asked exactly what was dangerous about the maneuver, but there wasn't time. I had to settle for "What? I was turning right, knobhead.". I doubt he heard me though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Frustration. Although stupid I'd rather they shouted crap than tried to illegally overtake whilst turning right :smile:. Not much else you can do. I've had are you trying to get yourself killed shouted a few times but completely normal stuff like cycling along a main road! It seems to be a bit of a desperation phrase to vent frustration when they can't think of anything else to say because you're not doing anything wrong!

PBancroft

He probably just sees cycling as being inherently dangerous, and as a pedestrian wouldn't attempt to cross where you did - I imagine he thought he was offering decent advise.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had something similar last year - Left lane, riding primary at 25 mph, looked behind saw merc approaching, but signaling left - I then changed lanes, inside left, outside lane straight on - he then started having a go when he pulled up on my left... his intention was to overtake me, then cut me up to go left.....

Arse.... told the old git to F-off after telling him he'd have cut me up if I hadn't changed lanes, I haden't even slowed him down, and I'd allowed him to be in the correct lane without causing other road users problems ?

You get them.....

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Been told the same thing. I was coming to some traffic lights where i was in the left lane, going left. Rolled up to them in primary and stopped. The guy behind told me if i carried on cycling how i was i was going to get killed. I told him that after x amount of miles this month he was the only idiot to say something to me, and asked what he knew about cycling. He poped his head back in the car then.

just jim

Strangely similar thing happened to me this morning. Left lane approaching traffic lights in primary. Give myself plenty of time, quiet Saturday morning; check over the shoulder before even thinking about moving into right lane to turn right .... left hooked by car literally drifting into me. I did actually shout " F***ing classic left hook!" while giving the thumbs up.

Window rolls down, I get the classic right finger.

Then she runs a red.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OTOH I had a 246 bus overtake me up the hill by Leaves Green, and make an oncoming car slam its brakes on since it's a narrow road and there's nowhere near enough room to overtake a cyclist with oncoming traffic. Nobhead bus driver.

In fairness, I've had nothing but months and months of excellent and patient encounters with the various bus drivers on this route. I'm about to send a letter of thanks and a couple of boxes of quality street.

yenrod

Ive never had any problem with Warrington much the reverse: though satay there Free' - as you get shot in Liverprool!

Touchy bastards are scousers hate the word too !

OP
OP
Freewheeler

Freewheeler

Warrington is mostly trouble free, and my new route has plenty of considerate drivers. Rode from Southport - Warrington on the trans-pennine trail the other day though. Apart from being really slow and having loads of barriers I had no problems, half expected someone to try and take my bike in Speke but hardly saw a soul. Never seen so much broken glass in all my life though, but the tyres stood up to it admirably.

Top Bottom