1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oz and Eritrea

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Crock of Gold, 19 Jun 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Well, well, well - I wasn't expecting THAT!!!!!!!

According to The Times today:

"Australians have out-eaten Americans to become the fattest people on earth..."

"" Professor Simon Stewart, the institute’s head of preventative cardiology, said that obesity was now the biggest threat to the health of Australians, with an estimated nine million of the 21 million population obese or overweight. “That is a whole million more obese adults than we had thought,” he said. ""

Where have they all been hiding all this time?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article4171160.ece

Country with least obsese people (percentage wise)?

That's right.

Eritrea. Must have a lot of bikes there.

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

And on the same link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article4133371.ece

What with all those fat fit Scottish cyclists here, there must be a huge proportion of lazy buggers down there! :biggrin:

3. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I think that the study quoted in the Times is a bit 'fishy'.

The Times article says "... the study compiled the results of height and weight checks carried out on 14,000 adult Australians in 2005." The World Health Organisation compiles annual statistics - and they're known for being fairly accurate, given the manner in which they're compiled and the wide range of data gathered which allows cross checking. The WHO data shows that there is a c. 25% obesity rate in Australia but a c. 39% obesity rate in the USA., using a mean BMI of 30 or higher. When you use a BMI of 25 or more, then you are getting closer.

In internationally agreed medical terms a person with a BMI of 30 or more is considered obese. A person with a BMI equal to or more than 25 is considered overweight.

So statistically, using the internationally accepted definitions, America still has the most obese population.

I then checked out the Baker Heart Institute and I've had a quick glance at the data and the report. The data is fairly thin and the report reads like a funding bid... and thus it becomes clear why this report is being pushed. :biggrin:

So relax my Antipodean cousins - you've got a way to go yet before you catch up with the Leftpondians.

4. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I believe everything that a Doctor says.

5. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Have a look at the background on Eritrea, the reasons for there being few fatties there is little to do with bikes.....

6. stephenb

stephenb Über Member

last time I went "home" there seemed to be a lot more porkers than in London

7. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Lest we forget what Australian women USED TO look like...
    sp6.jpg

8. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I was just being facetious. ;)

9. yello

yello Guru

Frightening how close to obese I am then, with a BMI of 26.9.

Point being, the popular conception of 'obese' is something off of a 'Fat Boy Slim' album cover... some lard arse wobbling down the road with a thick shake. It seems it's closer to home than that. WHO might have us believe (perhaps rightly) that those 'love handles' are obesity but that's not the popular definition of the word.