P fairy got me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Had a puncture t'other day which I managed to repair after pushing bike a mile home and got thorn out of tyre. refitted and all was fine.
Went back to bike half hour later and it was bloody flat again.
When I restripped (the wheel !), no air would stay in the tube and on inspection found a nice bullet hole on inside of tube directly in line with a "spoke hole". The hole wasn't exposed, covered by OE rubber strip(thought tube might be forcing into double wheel wall). I've stuck a tube patch over the offending hole.

Question is, is there something better I should be using that I can stick in the wheel to protect the tube next time I whip the tyre off ?

beckc

I do a 23 mile commute most days and a bit of it is off road so have reduced exposure to punctures over the years. Here are a few "what works" :

After market PVC rim tape is stronger and not appreciably more expensive than the rubbery kind.

Don't persist with patched tubes. Patches are great for getting you home but they can let you down and present you with something that defies repair at a later date.

Pay attention to tyre pressure - low pressure can result in snake bite punctures - especially with the state of some roads.

Find a puncture resistant tyre that works for you. There has been some discussion and lore on the forums. Vredestein Tricomp have been commended and work for me.

Hope your flats are less frequent - good luck !

Tynan

Veteran
I must have had thirty odd patches on my old rear wheel , almost all side of the road jobs, some done under street lamps, when i was doing 32 miles a day right through London and no problems, had patches overlapping, the lot, and they all held

holes from the inside is rubbish, sort that out quick fast, I used electrical tape last time I had to do that

bonj2

Tynan said:
I must have had thirty odd patches on my old rear wheel , almost all side of the road jobs, some done under street lamps, when i was doing 32 miles a day right through London and no problems, had patches overlapping, the lot, and they all held

holes from the inside is rubbish, sort that out quick fast, I used electrical tape last time I had to do that

that's cobblers rothbook and you know it.

Top Bottom