P*nctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Numpty question - many apologies.

I've just changed an inner tube on the lovely Liesl (luckily in the comfort of my own home, as there was a VERY slow puncture) and had enormous trouble putting the tyre back on, and ended up having to use the tyre levers, which is never good. Am currently waiting to see if I ruptured the new inner tube!

I'm sure I remember some handy hints about how to get the last bit of tyre on. I have small hands and they're not very strong, so any secrets to make this easier will be much appreciated.

DLB

if it makes you feel better, i can't ever rememeber putting a tyre back on any bike i've owed without the aid of tyre levers.

Membrane

Depends what your starting situation is, assuming both tyre and tube completely off the wheel this is how I do it:

* Inflate the tube with a bit of air
* Stuff tube into the tyre, watch for folds
* Insert the valve through the rim hole, then put half of the tyre with the tube back on the wheel (note the rotational arrow on the tyre sidewall to make sure that it goes on the right way)
* Make sure that there is not too much air in the tube so that the bead of the tyre that is now on the wheel can move off the ridge it normally sits on, it should be able to move into the center groove (this enables the last bit to go on easy)
* Now pull the other bead onto the rim, for the last bit here again make sure that the bit that is already on the rim is moved off the outer ridge it normally sits on, it should be over the center groove
* Pump a bit more air into the tube
* Using your hands work around the tyre and wiggle the tyre about width wise so that any snakes in the tube that might have crept in during the mounting stage can straighten out
* Now pump up the tyre to its full pressure

Needless to say there are other ways

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If its any consolation, I've just had to use two tyre levers, a speedlever and a spoon (old skool!) to get the tyre on Mrs Bollo's Dahon.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Gadgets! And talc!!!! Fabulous stuff.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dondare said:
In a recent cycle magazine, someone recommended KY jelly.
I trust that you have a tube handy.

Just because they're wearing skin-tight clothes, it doesn't make it a cycling magazine.

Boom, boom!

frog

Having used both the speedlever and the VAR I can say the VAR is better for me. You don't actually push the VAR over the rim to lever the tyre on which makes damaging the inner tube quite hard to do.

The Speedlever is good but a bit delicate. I admit to putting Schwalbe Marathons on with mine which have an evil reputation for getting on. So you have to be very careful how you apply the grunt to get it moving around the rim.

With the VAR you get a second lever which makes taking the tyre off a bit easier, and they're nice and wide too. The Speedlever only has the one.

ChrisW

Yea, i have a very weak right wrist (cue smutty innuendo jokes) and i use the VAR.

In fact i've had to use it far too much recently, (gnashing of teeth) both whilst commuting and on club runs.

Highly recommended though.

Chris

Slim

Über Member
I've seen a gadget by Koolstop called a "tire" bead jack that looks really good - more of a workshop tool though.

If anyone can get hold of one over here please let me know. Customs, VAT and the post office wanted £20+ for a $15 item from the US.

Top Bottom