PAC Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
When you apply for a PAC code to leave one mobile supplier and move to another does that automatically signal to the first company that you want to terminate your contract does anybody know?

If you read the web page of my current company it says you should ring their number and tell them your intentions but when I tried today "Calls to this number are unusually high, the current waiting time is 50 minutes"

Personally, I have better things to do with 50 minutes of my life.

vickster

Legendary Member
When you apply for a PAC code to leave one mobile supplier and move to another does that automatically signal to the first company that you want to terminate your contract does anybody know?

If you read the web page of my current company it says you should ring their number and tell them your intentions but when I tried today "Calls to this number are unusually high, the current waiting time is 50 minutes"

Personally, I have better things to do with 50 minutes of my life.

Call (do as soon as their lines open) or go into a shop if your supplier has one? Otherwise, do they have online chat which could be quicker than a call.
if they say you need to contact them, then do so

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No, it doesn't.
The current supplier will have to be notified.
Last time I did it, the "pac issuing person" was different than the customer service person that ends the contract.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A lot of companies do the shady practice of quick and easy online signup and then you have to call them to end the contract. It’s designed to put barriers in your path to ending your relationship with them. Why you want a PAC code is none of their business. They can ask but you’re under no obligation to say why, and they still need to give you the PAC code.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
“Getting a PAC code from your network is easy. All you have to do – no matter what network you’re requesting the code from – is text ‘PAC’ to 65075, using the number that you want to keep.”

Yes, I know that, my question was does requesting your PAC automatically cancel your contract with the existing network.

Yes, I know that, my question was does requesting your PAC automatically cancel your contract with the existing network.

No, but using the PAC will. When you provide your PAC to a new network, the cancellation process will begin automatically with your old network.

(Note PAC and not PAC code, PAC means a Porting Authorisation Code so PAC code is Porting Authorisation Code code. Irks me in the same way as PIN number).

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
“Getting a PAC code from your network is easy. All you have to do – no matter what network you’re requesting the code from – is text ‘PAC’ to 65075, using the number that you want to keep.”

Check that it's free though. When I changed from 3 to Vodafone, they offered the text service but there was a charge (£5 iirc)

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
No, but using the PAC will. When you provide your PAC to a new network, the cancellation process will begin automatically with your old network.

Thank you for that, that was my understanding of the situation.

However, I will endeavour to inform my existing network just to be on the safe side.

Yes - when I switched a few years ago I got a PAC code but then faffed about deciding which supplier to move to
Hence it expired
SHowing that just getting the code does not start a switch

When I decided and gave the new supplier the code then the switch was done
I also believe that once the new supplier gives the PAC code to the old supplier then the switch cannot be stopped - the old people HAVE to go ahead - this is to stop any potential loopholes where they pretend to delay things so they can contact you to confirm it and other such thing

Top Bottom