Earth - Chris Packham....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Anybody watching?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ps-confidently-into-david-attenboroughs-shoes

Now this should be a must watch for me, Sunday evening, a presenter I like and admire, a topic in which I am interested. So why do I find myself nodding-off during every episode - cue options!
I just find it terminally dull, slow, diluted narrative by admittedly fantastic imagery.
Should have given the job to James Burke - he'd have done the job in a quarter of the time, on a lower budget and held my attention...or would he?

Somehow this is a fail for me. Anyone else?

Definitely not an up and at 'em presentation...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think he does a lot of good for nature / environmental issues etc, but there is something about him / his presenting style I find intensely annoying.

15 minutes of listening to him and I could gladly beat up a badger just to spite him.....

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I think he does a lot of good for nature / environmental issues etc, but there is something about him / his presenting style I find intensely annoying.

15 minutes of listening to him and I could gladly beat up a badger just to spite him.....

I know exactly what you mean, and what about getting the BBC to employ his daughter as a presenter on Spring Watch ? Surely there are hundreds of suitably qualified, eager, talented people who would "kill" for that job, but it just gets given to his daughter ... :sad:

I like the programme

I like his style - no excessive drama - well OK some but not enough to annoy me - and lots of detail which I like

It has come up with a lot of events in the distant past that I was not aware of which is good - and ties together different events and circumstances that show just how fragile early life was - and how weird the circumstances were that made things how they are

personally I like it

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We are watching it, but, not "live", so, only seen first two programmes, so far.

- lots of stuff I didn't know, so, educational (for me)

- sadly, I find Packham really irritating, in general. Thus far, there has not been a female co-presenter for him to patronise, which is good

- I think we may watch to the end, but, would prefer another presenter (not Attenborough, please!)

- sadly, I find Packham really irritating, in general. Thus far, there has not been a female co-presenter for him to patronise, which is good

Are you talking about his relationship with "Mick" Strachan on Springwatch etc?

(I can imagine he irritates some, he's quite ... unusual! But I really love him. A sincere, knowledgeable, affable (SOME would say humorous! ;) ) kind fellow.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Had high hopes for this series and I had never heard of the presenter.

Background: cannot abide Attenborough's over-dramatic presentation style.

Packham must've watched hours of Attenborough footage in an effort to imitate him and he didn't do a bad job but in the light of my previous Attenburgh comment and Packham's monotonous, and a couple of octaves too high, voice, I found him desperately dreary.

I'm no academic but the content pitch seemed typical low-brow fodder - lots of pretty visuals and a shortfall of detailed information.

I do realise that a series like this is pitched at a wide spectrum of viewers so it is what it is.

Thus, I watched E1 and about 10 min's of E2 and gave up. 4/10 at best.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Are you talking about his relationship with "Mick" Strachan on Springwatch etc?

(I can imagine he irritates some, he's quite ... unusual! But I really love him. A sincere, knowledgeable, affable (SOME would say humorous! ;) ) kind fellow. He pi55es off the oil-burning dinos* on twitter like no-one else in the Green business :biggrin:

*Speaking of which, who's posting next on here ...

No idea of the names of the various females he has had on Springwatch, Autumnwatch etc.

He may, in real life be a very nice guy, I haven’t met him

Given that I broadly agree with his message. I believe my irritation is down his style, rather than the message. ,

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Anybody watching?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ps-confidently-into-david-attenboroughs-shoes

Now this should be a must watch for me, Sunday evening, a presenter I like and admire, a topic in which I am interested. So why do I find myself nodding-off during every episode - cue options!
I just find it terminally dull, slow, diluted narrative by admittedly fantastic imagery.
Should have given the job to James Burke - he'd have done the job in a quarter of the time, on a lower budget and held my attention...or would he?

Somehow this is a fail for me. Anyone else?

I binged on it last week on the iplayer. Its visually nice to look at, but like in many documentaries today, we gotta use that expensive CGI shots of things like asteroids hitting the Earth again...and again...and again. Not too keen on the 'strobe edits'....you'll see 'em.

Not as annoying as US documentaries who assume:

1. The audience has the attention span of a wasp and can just about cope with walking.....upright.
2. The audience will be flipping channels all the time so after each ad break, summarise what you said 10 minutes earlier so the poor things don't miss anything.
3. That CGI cost money...repeat it at least 4 or 5 times in each segment of the show....especially any stuff that explodes.

US documentaries are in reality only about 10 minutes long, the rest is just repetition....with lots of exploding CGI things.

Chris Packham was OK but old Coxy would have been a better choice pontificating about stuff whilst gazing wistfully at things.

Top Bottom