Earth - Chris Packham....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My wife doesn’t like him on this programme. We didn’t watch it this week as she hadn’t fallen asleep. I like him and his style, I’ll have to catch up on iPlayer.

im just used to the other bloke .Its like cycling when phil ligget was on hes the voice of the tdf

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Anybody watching?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ps-confidently-into-david-attenboroughs-shoes

Now this should be a must watch for me, Sunday evening, a presenter I like and admire, a topic in which I am interested. So why do I find myself nodding-off during every episode - cue options!
I just find it terminally dull, slow, diluted narrative by admittedly fantastic imagery.
Should have given the job to James Burke - he'd have done the job in a quarter of the time, on a lower budget and held my attention...or would he?

Somehow this is a fail for me. Anyone else?

I've been exactly the same... it's right up my street but I'm nodding off, which is something i never* do in front of the telly. I'm wondering if there's subliminal messages behind the images slowly brainwashing me.

[edit]
*unless its Attenborough (sorry)

D

Deleted member 1258

I watched the first episode last night, it was OK, interesting subject but could have been better presented.

KneesUp

Guru
I know exactly what you mean, and what about getting the BBC to employ his daughter as a presenter on Spring Watch ? Surely there are hundreds of suitably qualified, eager, talented people who would "kill" for that job, but it just gets given to his daughter ... :sad:

He did a load of Youtube things (The Self Isolating Bird Club) with his step daughter Megan McCubbin during lockdown - as far as I can tell because it was something to do, and because they could be together because they were in the same household / bubble. She was already an established wildlife TV presenter on Al Jazeera before then though.

IIRC when they restarted Springwatch she was used because of the success of the YouTube stuff and because Michaela Strachan couldn't fly in from her home in South Africa due to restrictions. I may have remembered it incorrectly, but when it first came back on were bubble sizes still restricted? Obviously them living in the same house helped there, and would definitely have helped in regard to finding someone - it would have been hard to do screen tests prior to broadcast because of the restrictions, and the two of them were know to work well together.

Anyway, the truth of it is that she was a wildlife presenter anyway, who started working with her step father during Covid, and who evidently went down well with the viewers (she is very good at what she does) - so it's a little unfair to everyone involved to style that as Chris Packham "getting the BBC to employ his daughter".

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I like Chris Packham but I'm certain that in some television productions he has little input in the words he's saying and is just given the position to give the programme some credibility that would not be there if they had employed another personality, consistently being the voice of nature and the environment is not an easy gig for anyone, at least with Chris Packham you get someone who deeply loves the subject matter.

Top Bottom