Planet earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I really enjoy David Attenborough's programs but get depressed every time he goes on about our negative effects on the animal world and nature so I switch over for a couple of minutes until he goes back to showing us the beauty of our planet. I am fully aware of man kind's destruction of everything but don't wish to be reminded constantly. Greed and the search for ever more bigger profits isn't part of my world. It breaks my heart when I see animals displaced by us and nature destroyed.
Rant over.

Gillstay

Über Member
I taught students about global warming and this topic often came up. The only solution we found was to think of what action you can do and then do it. If I know i have done my best, and then if feeling very low about something I donate, or write letters where they may help or plant trees. Anything similar you can do ?

The students eventual solution after discussion was always to kill yourself by driving a double decker bus full of high footprint people over a cliff.
Then some wag would say but think if you saw a spare seat just as you were going over, and off would go the chat again. At which point I would announce `coffee time!'

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I really enjoy David Attenborough's programs but get depressed every time he goes on about our negative effects on the animal world and nature so I switch over for a couple of minutes until he goes back to showing us the beauty of our planet. I am fully aware of man kind's destruction of everything but don't wish to be reminded constantly. Greed and the search for ever more bigger profits isn't part of my world. It breaks my heart when I see animals displaced by us and nature destroyed.
Rant over.

It does everyone a disservice to just ignore it.
I know it’s impossible for one person to effect huge change, but it would be a mistake for Attenborough to ignore it. He knows it’s uncomfortable viewing but necessary.
Tonight’s artistic shots of huge trees being felled in Brazil was heartbreaking, but we have to have the mirror held up to our faces every now and then.
The trouble is that we are all complicit in the capitalist market, it’s just far easier to say it’s got nothing to do with me, when we all benefit from cheap production costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom