Pacific Cycles CarryMe riders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
I've long been an armchair admirer of this folder and have read the BikeRadar and VeloVision reviews. Has anyone got one and able to comment on it's practicality for real world short distance commuting in a city without hills? I like it because it's under 9Kg and can easily be rolled along and taken on buses and into buildings.

http://www.pacific-cycles.com/CarryMe

StuartG

slower but further
Just a note folded it breaks the 85cm restriction travel restrictions by certain operators. A problem if you need to take it everywhere anyhow.

Just a note folded it breaks the 85cm restriction travel restrictions by certain operators. A problem if you need to take it everywhere anyhow.
Has anyone ever had a small folded bike measured by a train guard? I can understand a huge 26" dahon, but do you really think a guard would throw you off with a bicycle smaller than a Brompton that just breaks the letter, not the spirit, of the law?

(I prepared that the answer might be "yes" :sad: )

StuartG

slower but further
I was thinking airlines and Eurostar who have a pecuniary incentive to measure and have the setup to do it - having a few minutes booked a Brussels trip with my folder which has to fit into the racks provided.

The point of a minimalist folder is not having to worry about anybody refusing or being charged extra when about to embark.

Also that may be pushing the boot capacity of [old] mini type cars. The point of small wheels is to minimise the fold at the expense of the ride.

StuartG

slower but further
Put it in a bag, then it's just a not particularly large piece of luggage. If they ask what it is, say "bicycle parts". Which is true.
Irrelevant. 85cm is often the luggage rule. You can always bluff it out and good luck if you succeed. But having the start of one's journey disrupted by refusal, overcharge or being relegated to the guards' van is not good. Just even worrying about the possibility of a jobsworth is unhelpful. What's the point of a folder that doesn't fold in the most important direction?

Top Bottom