Packing bikes into bags for my own handling: tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So I will be packing two bikes into bags for transport soon. Both wheels will have to come out to get them within the allowed height (actually width - the bikes will be lying down on a shelf), but the guards and racks could stay on if I want. The bikes will be lying down one atop the other (but no more), so I'll put dropout spacers in, but I'd love opinions on these questions:

Is bubble wrap and electrical tape the best way to protect chain and stays and stop everything getting cruddy?

Should I leave the guards on? I can't see how they'd get damaged but maybe I'm in for a nasty surprise and new mudguard purchase.

The bridge and crown mounts look a complete PITA to remove, as they're behind the brakes - does anyone make quick-release mounts I could fit instead? Searching for "quick release mudguard mounts" finds me only those things for going over QR skewers if you've not got eyelets.

I'll be loading and unloading the bikes so is it worth removing the rear mechs or do you think me being careful will suffice?

It's not necessary to get the bikes in the shelf so would you turn the handlebars and remove the pedals or leave them be? Or just the left (bottom) pedal of the bottom bike?

Any other packing tips? TIA

alicat

Legendary Member
I would remove the mudguards given that the wheels will have been removed and so offer no protection.

I use pipe lagging to cover the stays. Bubble wrap sounds good for the chain.

I use a cut down plastic plant pot to cover the derailleur - or just remove it and cable tie it close by.

I would probably remove the bottom pedal and leave the bars as they are. Once you have removed the wheel, you can turn the forks and hook the handlebar under the top tube, loosening it a little if necessary to do so.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In addition to above (or a comment) unscrew the RD, bubble wrap and tape to seat stay / chain stay within apex.
I'd remove the guards too (PITA tho' it is). You can get those guards that clip onto a bridge which can be left in place but they have their own weaknesses/drawbacks. Rack can stay.
Pipe lagging is cheap and easy to 'clip' over tubes. 4m of 22mm lagging would be enough - I'm assuming your bikes have 'proper' tubes.
If you're going to retain control over the bikes in their bags, then bubblewrap is probably sufficient.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks. I am going to keep control of the bagged bikes. I've loads of pipe lagging from when the bikes go on a car rack so that's not a problem. Both bikes are vintage so it should fit over easily.

I'm really not looking forward to taking guards off but if I do, I'll probably take the opportunity to move the bridge and crown brackets to attach to the opposite side of the bridge/crown to the brakes so I don't have to take the whole shebang off in future, only the nut.

I do wonder about strapping poles to the rear rack legs to form a bit of a protective cage around the rear guard instead... it would still fit in the space available because the height constraint is why the wheels have to be removed.

Top Bottom