padded shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
spotted these a couple of days ago but not got round to posting them
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funkier-7-panel-basic-shorts-aw14/rp-prod89671
good reviews and at only £15, what do you think?
otherwise i will quite happily spend the £40 on the DHB Vaeron Roubaix knowing that i am getting tried and tested quality
Cheers ED

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have a pair of those- they're not too bad, good for my 17 mile each way commute and had them out for a few 30+ milers, but if I was heading out for 100 miles I would definitely have bib shorts, not normal ones, your body will be under enough stress as it is without the shorts elastic cutting into your waist for 6/7 hours.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a pair of Funkier bib shorts earlier this year & only wore them once before selling them. I'm not sure if the pad was just too small or fitted too far forward for me. They did seem like good quality shorts, just not right for me :blush:

If you are serious about comfort on long rides don't skimp on shorts. As the old saying goes, buy cheap buy twice. I picked up a pair Altura Pro Gel Bibs Shorts when I first started cycling and I wear them every day, yes initial outlay was a bit begrudged (my other half complained a lot about my spending on cycling) but they are really comfy and regularly ride 60+ in them.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-progel-bib-shorts-1/

Worn them approx 15 weeks straight and they are still going strong, don't focus on the initial outlay, work out how much you are going to be paying for them per day!

While I never condone buying things on credit, (Always pay in full!) if you think about it this way, if they last you only one season they cost a measly 13p/day. 2 years, 6.5p/day, you get the idea :smile:

You don't need to buy full bib-trousers too, I stick a pair of running tights over these (£7.50) and with base layer they will do all the way through winter too.

There is literally no point spending £15 on shorts if you wear them 3 times, its a false economy.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Basically everyone is different and what fits one person perfectly will be sheer hell to another. Its a pity no cycling organisation has come with a standard sizing system for cycle shorts but then as M or L can be widely different its pushing it to hope for matters such as pad size and thickness at the front, between the legs and rear to be specified.

Top Bottom