Padded shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I recommend the Specialized saddles, again the harder the better. Get yourself measured in a shop and get the correct size. I tried 3 different saddles before going for the Specialized and have never regretted it.

Padded shorts are also an essential part of my wardrobe. DHB are a good choice, my favourites currently are Lusso. Good quality and made in Britain, but a little more expensive.

OP
OP
dlands

dlands

redjedi said:
I recommend the Specialized saddles, again the harder the better. Get yourself measured in a shop and get the correct size. I tried 3 different saddles before going for the Specialized and have never regretted it.

Padded shorts are also an essential part of my wardrobe. DHB are a good choice, my favourites currently are Lusso. Good quality and made in Britain, but a little more expensive.

Thanks, how do you get yourself measured for a saddle?

I went into our local cycle shop today and the guy was saying to get a gel saddle!? he also said he was in his 80's and had not ridden a bike since 1936! funnily enough he did have a Specialized one I liked (Non gel)

OP
OP
dlands

dlands

redjedi said:

I see you are in Brentford, where do you recommend locally as in bike shop? I am just up the road in Ashford.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Another vote here for the DHB kit. Can't beat it for the price (although Decathlon comes close).

Personally I'd avoid the Lidl/Aldi shorts - Other stuff can be OK, but the shorts have been of dubious fit, and might just serve to put you off forever.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dlands said:

I went into our local cycle shop today and the guy was saying to get a gel saddle!? he also said he was in his 80's and had not ridden a bike since 1936! funnily enough he did have a Specialized one I liked (Non gel)

Specialized do their BG saddles in different widths so that you can get one that fits your sit bones, most Specialized dealers have a sort of cushion which you sit on and can tell you which width you need. I have a Specialized BG Toupé which is really comfy...

redjedi

Über Member
dlands said:

dlands said:
I see you are in Brentford, where do you recommend locally as in bike shop? I am just up the road in Ashford.

I got my Spec saddle in Evans in Chiswick. They have a little gel pad you have to sit on for a few minutes before they measure the imprint. Most Evans should be able to do that.

I got the Avatar as it was the cheapest one they did, it is a bit padded but still very comfy.

As for a good LBS I go to Wizz Bikes in Brentford. Great service and good people. Always willing to help you out.

monnet

Guru
Saddles and shorts, can there be two more personal choices you make as a cyclist.

I think the DHB advice for shorts is good if you're new to them. They're good value and good quality. There's no point blowing £100+ on Assos if you're not sure. Likewise no point buying something really cheap that won't fit well as you'll just end up very uncomfortable and hate them!

Saddles, very personal things though I don't think I've ever had a saddle that I've found un-rideable. I've used the aforementioned Specialized saddles and found them ok but prefer Selle Italia SLR's. I wouldn't say 'harder the better' though. Everyone's different, but unless you are racing (and even if you are) a gel insert does give a welcome bit of comfort. I'd recommend looking at the Specialized range (Avatar and Alias ranges) or manufacturers with a gel flow system. Look at brands such as Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Fizik etc. Any good LBS will help you out.

Bandini

If you want cheap: I got some Karrimor shorts - tenner a pair form sportsdirect.com. They are confy.They don't look amazing - but I wear stuff over them.

Top Bottom