Padded shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dlands

Hi All,

I have only been cycling short distances so far but I need to get in to training as I am going to be doing a 58 mile ride in June so I need to get some mileage under my belt so to speak.

What I am after is some recommendations for padded shorts, I'm think I'm looking for some serious padding, I need some comfort! ;) any suggestions?

Many thanks

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Really depends on how much you want to spend... ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
iirc the padding isn't there to provide comfort, or cushioning, or indeed, padding, it is there to prevent chaffing. after an initial r's hardening period, if your saddle fits well you should be comfortable on it. what you don't want is a seam rubbing you raw somewhere you care about. the bulkier the padding the more chance it will bunch up and rub you up the wrong way.

ain't no padding in my shorts, nor any atop my saddle (B17) and I can ride 100+km without a dismount or discomfort. and I've got a skinny r's.

OP
OP
dlands

dlands

GregCollins said:
iirc the padding isn't there to provide comfort, or cushioning, or indeed, padding, it is there to prevent chaffing. after an initial r's hardening period, if your saddle fits well you should be comfortable on it. what you don't want is a seam rubbing you raw somewhere you care about. the bulkier the padding the more chance it will bunch up and rub you up the wrong way.

ain't no padding in my shorts, nor any atop my saddle (B17) and I can ride 100+km without a dismount or discomfort. and I've got a skinny r's.

Mmm getting confused now :-) I have a wide gel saddle but I don't think it's that comfortable. perhaps I need to find out how to judge a saddle instead?

snorri

Legendary Member
dlands said:
Good cheap to moderate I guess :-)

There is none cheaper than no padding at all.;), are you sure you really need it?

Edit
I've just noticed you mentioned a gel saddle:ohmy:.
I think you should consider another saddle before resorting to padding.

OP
OP
dlands

dlands

snorri said:
There is none cheaper than no padding at all.;), are you sure you really need it?

Edit
I've just noticed you mentioned a gel saddle:ohmy:.
I think you should consider another saddle before resorting to padding.

Any thoughts on what saddles then, I don't know any makes etc apart from the brooks that was just mentioned?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
dlands said:
Any thoughts on what saddles then, I don't know any makes etc apart from the brooks that was just mentioned?

Selle are a common make. If you are a gent look for one which has a central indentation or cut out which avoids putting to much pressure on the nerves down there. Also I found I like a saddle that isn't to slippery, sounds crazy but a saddle I had on my mountain bike felt slippery and I just couldn't get on with it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well, all this soft-arse stuff is behind me now. I replaced my saddle for a Gillette razor blade, chucked away my helmet, trashed the lights, and now ride oblivious and mighty with loud music in my ears. I anticipate all the dangerous behaviour of other road users with a God-like sixth sense...

Yeah, right....

This might help....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/altura/ascent-baggy-shorts-ec002011

You can wear the inner pants under jeans, if you want.

edit: ooops! Maybe something similar!

Keith Oates

Janner
I also agree with the comment of changing the Gel saddle, for me they are not so good on longish rides. I like some padding in the shorts but it doesn't have to be very thick to be comfortable. Getting the miles in and hardening up the rear end muscles is also a must in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cheap padded shorts to try? - Lidl this coming Monday, 22nd, £5.99, (see other thread) or Decathlon any time. If they work for you you can always spend more later, though I have had many, many comfortable miles out of Decathlons'. Padded undershorts are also worth trying. Get rid of the gel.

Broadside

Guru
I do use padded shorts, they are a must for me after 50 miles or so, you have been unlucky wiu this thread as people sem to have a downer on them. To answer your question, the supermarkets will have stuff under a tenner. DHB (wiggle) do some undershorts for £13. For standard shorts you can get some Spegs for £23 (incl p&p), then next is Altura for about £26.

Don't be ashamed to get padded shorts, there is no medal dished out for having a sore arse.

OP
OP
dlands

dlands

Thanks everybody! I think it's a conclusive get rid of the gel saddle from everyone :-) and I now understand about padding & chammy a bit more ie: for preventing chaffing!

Top Bottom