Pain from the hip joint down the leg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

I've noticed since I've started cycling more I've been having this recurring pain which occurs when at rest (i.e., when not out cycling), it feels like it's eminating from the ball of the hip and sort of goes down the inside/back of the leg towards the back of the knee, but never gets that far down.

The pain only generally appears when I'm sat down and it's not so intense that I'm in agony, it's more of an annoying twinge, but tends to be quite a constant pain when it's there, as opposed to the typically throbbing/stabbing pain that I experience when I've pulled a muscle.

The odd thing is that it never occurs when I'm actually cycling, but I am sure it is connected as it has only appeared since I've started cycling more (also about the same time I fitted SPDs but given that I started cycling a lot more at the same time means I can't draw any conclusions from that).

Any thoughts folks, perhaps stretches or something to help smooth this one out?

Ta.:laugh:

montage

God Almighty
Sounds like Illiotibial Band, look up ITB/illiotibial band stretches and see if that helps.

Edit: or it could be tight hamstrings

I could be completely wrong of course

ASC1951

Guru
In my case it is 'referred pain' from pressure on the sciatic nerve from a stiff lower back. Magic Linda the physio has sorted it out with spinal twists - flat on your back, knees raised, then knees gently rolled from one side to the other.

Asking for diagnosis online, as montage says, is up there with finding lost jewellery by dangling a crystal over a road atlas. I have always found a reliable sports physio to be as important as getting my car serviced and much better value for money.

[Google says there are a couple of practices in Macclesfield, but someone local may be able to give you a recommendation. I used to be put off by places that offer reflexology, which is about as scientific as Hopi Ear Candling, but we all have bills to pay so most places that have the room bung it in there along with the other mumbojumbo 'treatment'.]

ASC1951

Guru
yashicamat said:
I might have a word with a physio.
These days I have to go in for at least an annual service. Usually it's "My leg/back/arm/wrist hurts!"; "Are you still doing those stretches I gave you last time?"; "No. I stopped when it got better..."

Runners go in with knee and ankle problems, swimmers with elbow and shoulders, but with road cyclists it's nearly always lower back, especially if that's how they get most of their exercise. It's a good idea IME to mix it up with some running or swimming if you can.

If you are in one of these schemes like Westfield you usually get a physio allowance of up to £100 a year.

ASC1951

Guru
yashicamat said:
(also about the same time I fitted SPDs but given that I started cycling a lot more at the same time means I can't draw any conclusions from that).
A wrongly aligned cleat would have to be very wrong to give you pain anywhere above the knee; and I would have thought it would be worse while you were on the bike, but I suppose you should check that as well. It's a long time since I put mine on, but IIRC I just rode round for a while with them slightly slack, then did them up in that position.

Bound to be a thread on here about it.

Top Bottom