Pain in the nads - saddle help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cinq

I have invested in a nice pair of Euskaltel bib shorts with decent padding but still getting pain on long rides. Usually about 25 minutes in. I'm riding on the entry level racer of the Edinburgh Cycles Series so the saddle is the standard basic number. When I bought it I enquired about the saddle and the chap advised me to perhaps try using the saddle that I had on my mountain bike, which is comfy, but I rarely went far on that bike so I am unsure whether the effects would be the same. I will give it a try however. 

From reading I have done online, the specialized avatar gel saddle seems to be recommended highly. 

Any thoughts? 

rogersavery

I have invested in a nice pair of Euskaltel bib shorts with decent padding but still getting pain on long rides. Usually about 25 minutes in. I'm riding on the entry level racer of the Edinburgh Cycles Series so the saddle is the standard basic number. When I bought it I enquired about the saddle and the chap advised me to perhaps try using the saddle that I had on my mountain bike, which is comfy, but I rarely went far on that bike so I am unsure whether the effects would be the same. I will give it a try however.

From reading I have done online, the specialized avatar gel saddle seems to be recommended highly.

Any thoughts?

gel saddles are comfy for short distances but then start to bruise the soft tissues

hard saddles are uncomfortable till you get used to them, they support your weight on the sit bones, rather than the soft tissues, so don't bruise, but you need to get used to being sat on a hard saddle

I currently use a bontrager RL which now I am used to (after a few weeks of getting used to it), it is good for 100+miles with no bruising. I used to use a gel saddle which was really good for the 1st 50 miles, then I could not sit down on it again for several days without a lot of discomfort

Tynan

Veteran
before you give up on the saddle, make sure you have it positioned correctly, so fore and aft, height and slope, tiny differences make a very real difference to comfort

OP
OP
C

Cinq

before you give up on the saddle, make sure you have it positioned correctly, so fore and aft, height and slope, tiny differences make a very real difference to comfort

Lowering it and positioning the nose of it further down?

Alun

Guru
Don't have the nose of the saddle too low or you will slide forwards, I set mine with a spirit level. Saddles are individual and what suits one person may not suit another. Try the one from your MTB first.

Tynan

Veteran
just getting it right, knee over the ball off the foot on the downstroke, leg nearly straight for height, saddle utterly level or perhaps a tiny bit nose down

and then tweak to suit

Top Bottom