Painful quads!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve just returned to cycling after a year off the bike.my question is when I’m climbing hills and I get out of the saddle my quads get painful really quickly,is this due to my age 64 or my lack of cycling fitness Or both?

It's returning after a break. Your brain knows what you are capable of - but your body isn't ready yet.

Do more shorter rides. Off the bike work on your core and flexibility. Sure it Will be fine once your muscles have caught up

ExBrit

Über Member
I’ve just returned to cycling after a year off the bike.my question is when I’m climbing hills and I get out of the saddle my quads get painful really quickly,is this due to my age 64 or my lack of cycling fitness Or both?

I ride 12,000 miles a year and I'm the same age as you. My quads hurt like hell if I climb 10% hills. My advice is to avoid 10% hills. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Scott addict

Scott addict

Sorry, what does the 22/34 refer to?

22 at the front is outside of the possible smallest range for Ultegra (without some special arranagement), and 22 at the rear outside the normal range for largest rear.

Just trying to understand how low your granny gear is - can you quote

(1) Smallest front chainring size (number of teeth) ?
(2) Largest rear cog (number of teeth) ?
I ride 12,000 miles a year and I'm the same age as you. My quads hurt like hell if I climb 10% hills. My advice is to avoid 10% hills. Problem solved.

Wow that’s very impressive.very hilly where I live can’t escape those steep gradients.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 18

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wow that’s very impressive.very hilly where I live can’t escape those steep gradients.

It's impossible to tell from a photo what your rear cassette is.

The front is 50-34, so lowest chainring 34. It's likely the rear is 32 or 34, though it could be 28. You need to count them to confirm.

I'd very much expect with any of that gearing your quads to hurt on a 10% hill after a year off. If you've got a 28, I'd recommend changing to a 34. You'll likely need a new derailleur (long cage variant) if that's the case, as well as the cassette.

A more substantial change to the drivetrain would be needed to get much lower gears.

Enjoy the ride!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks bigger than a 28 to me. I think it's 32-11.

So if (by some miracle) I'm right then bottom gear is 34/32. Going to 34/34 would be nice (it's what I have) but my experience of going from 32 to 34 big sprocket is that it's nice but not game-changing. So something to have in mind for when things* start to wear out rather than a "do now" type of thing.

* things = components, rather than knees.

KneesUp

Guru
A quarter off the largest sprocket looks like 8 teeth so I agree it's a 32.

atemple492

After not cycling for a year, I'm guessing your body needs to get used to the motion again. Would recommend easing yourself back into it before starting anything intense again.

Top Bottom