Painfull Hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

norfolkgrog

Hi has anyone got any ideas why I get a lot of aching in my hands, after cycling for about 20 mins, I do use gloves and i'm riding witn drop bars.

Thanks

Vernon

kyuss

Veteran
Could be your position, too much weight on your hands. You could try some gel padded tape. I use Specialized Bar Phat on all my bikes but Fizik and Cinelli also make similar stuff. It's very good, makes quite a difference. On my commuter I have the 2.5mm stuff and two layers of tape which is super comfy, and the 4.5mm stuff with one layer on the others. I wouldn't recommend the two layers of tape though unless, like me, you have huge hands.

Could be a matter of just getting used to it (same as with saddle) as you are doing something different with your hands.
If you are putting too much weight on your hands you may well have tired arms too. Kyuss and tape above is one solution. I have seen newer bikes with a flat top to the bars to give a broader contact area.
This however is not addressing the root of the problem. You can get a bit less weight on your hands by moving your saddle back slightly (or sitting back a bit) as you may be tipped forward too much.
This is assuming the bike is about the right size for you.
Change hand position. I have drops but rarely are on the lower part. I tend to move my hands around between four positions on the bars.
Lastly, if you are new then you will be a bit more of a dead weight on a bike. As you get fitter, you will be putting a lot more of you weight onto the pedals and less on the saddle or bars so it may just go away.

Blue

Legendary Member
Over The Hill said:
Could be a matter of just getting used to it (same as with saddle) as you are doing something different with your hands.

, if you are new then you will be a bit more of a dead weight on a bike. As you get fitter, you will be putting a lot more of you weight onto the pedals and less on the saddle or bars so it may just go away.

I agree with this as I had the same problem until I got used to cycling.

As an interim measure I actually slipped a piece of rubber carpet underlay into my gloves for extra padding for the month or two that it took to get used to things as I didn't want to retape the bars of the bike.

OP
OP
norfolkgrog

norfolkgrog

Thanks for the replys i'll get some fat tape and see what happens, carpet underlay's good idea, i'll just nik a bit from the bedroom, dont tell er indoors!!!

Thanks

Vernon