Sore hands!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott addict

After riding anything over 50 miles the palms of my hands are red and sore ! is it because I’m holding the bars in the same position too long?I’m wearing a thin pair of gloves I bought when I started cycling 2 years ago.would padded gloves help if so any recommendations would be gratefully appreciate.

alicat

Legendary Member
You might be gripping harder than you need as well as staying in the same position too long. Padded mitts will definitely help. Any that have a loop between the third and fourth fingers are good (it helps to get them off easily).

Bars too low, maybe? Sounds like you've got more weight on your hands than is ideal (weight should be evenly distributed between contact points on a bike - bum, hands, feet) which is fine for short distances but far more noticeable when you get tired.

Try raising your bars a bit and see if that helps. It's the cheapest solution after all.

Sharky

Guru
It is possible that the gloves themselves could be causing your problem. Hot and sweaty gloves aren't ideal.

In this warm weather, try riding gloveless. The feel and control over the bars and brakes without gloves is surprisingly refreshing.

DogmaStu

Gloves with a good gel palm help.

I'm a fan of the Australian brand Cycology - I have two pairs of Summers mitts and one pair of Winter full mitts from them and they are comfortable.
https://www.cycologygear.co.uk/collections/cycling-gloves

I have Castelli and Santini gloves too and their Summer mitts are fine except for one of my bikes where the aggressive aero position and brake hood shape make my hands sore even wearing them. My thicker Rapha Winter gloves are fine though so I looked for a Summer glove with a thicker gel padding and Cycology's worked! No more soreness.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bars too low, maybe? Sounds like you've got more weight on your hands than is ideal (weight should be evenly distributed between contact points on a bike - bum, hands, feet) which is fine for short distances but far more noticeable when you get tired.

Try raising your bars a bit and see if that helps. It's the cheapest solution after all.
Almost, IMO. Weight should be distributed between feet and bum. There should only be enough weight on the hands to steer. You should be able to sit on the bike (held by someone/thing) and put your hands behind your back without changing position noticeably. That's why more core strength is needed the lower the shoulders and riders are often suggested to do yoga.

Sore hands is usually from pushing on them due to bad saddle or bar position, but occasionally gripping too hard. Pushing on them usually shows up first in wrist or shoulder pain, before sore palms.

I agree with the comments above about bar height. I put a high-rise stem on my bike, which raised the bar height by about 6 or 7cm.
So now I'm not pressing down so hard on my hands/palms.
And not just raising the height, but shortening the reach to your handlebars should help.
Can you take a photo of the front of your bike and post the photos on this thread? Maybe then some of us could suggest specific advice.

OP
OP
Scott addict

Scott addict

IMG_0183.jpeg

I agree with the comments above about bar height. I put a high-rise stem on my bike, which raised the bar height by about 6 or 7cm.
So now I'm not pressing down so hard on my hands/palms.
And not just raising the height, but shortening the reach to your handlebars should help.
Can you take a photo of the front of your bike and post the photos on this thread? Maybe then some of us could suggest specific advice.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the photos. It appears that there are some spacers to raise the bars. It is a long stem, so I'm wondering if fitting a shorter stem would help you. Then your torso wouldn't be so leant forward and placing so much weight through your hands.
I'll put a photo below - this stem in the photo is probably overkill, but it does illustrate what could give you a more comfortable position.
I'd be grateful if other members have suggestions. Anyway, just doing this at the end of the day; may post again soon.

Attachments

• Hi stem.jpg
    Hi stem.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom