Saddle sore/cyst

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

Been cycling properly 18 months

During that time I’ve had a few saddle sores. Most clear up quickly with a little rest

However I have developed a very hard lump around the size of a garden pea under the skin in my groin, it has a head on it but will not pop. The chemist gave me Magnesium Sulphate to apply at nights to draw any infection out, it has not made any difference. The lump is rock hard.

I have done some research online but I am unsure of what I should do to get It to go away, it is tender to the touch and has a small scab on top which doesn’t seem to go away. I believe it is a fairly common occurrence for cyclists.

Does anyone have any advice (I am currently off the bike until I can get it to heal)

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Was prescribed Daktarin for something similar.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Sounds like a cyst, had a couple myself.
Stay off the bike a while and keep an eye out for infection, keep using the cream and keep it clean.
If it becomes infected (becomes open with pus) see the doc again.
Get well soon

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve never reached the point of a cyst but have had low-level saddlesore issues for literally decades. The advice so far is solid. I use a dab of chamois cream around the problem area before setting out and apply some savlon post-ride and shower if there’s any soreness at all.

I’d just add that a bit of experimentation with saddles and saddle height might be worth a shot. I get on a lot better with saddles that don’t have a narrow centre section and aren’t too slippy. Don't like Brooke’s anyway, but I had one for an couple of years on the commuter that hurt to buggery.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Be very careful with it. And for goodness sake do not try to squeeze it. A friend of mine had a battle with a reepated cyst and ended up with 2 operations to sort it out which meant curtailing his cycling for a long period of time

Kajjal

Guru
Unfortunately some people are just more prone to them and the longer the ride the more likely they are. In my case showering carefully after each ride, having a well fitting saddle and cycling shorts in good condition that also fit well means luckily I rarely get them.

Jody

Stubborn git
And for goodness sake do not try to squeeze it.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

I always end up popping them and didn't realise that could cause issues.

Was going to advise the OP of my method which was make a Epsom salt compress to draw it out, quick nick with a clean pin and then pop it.

Daninplymouth

Asssos do a skin healing gel and I found that helped on me when I had a reoccurring irritation. I tend to use it a drop after each ride now working on prevention being better than cure

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

6 days off the bike, I have been using magnesium paste at night time and hot compress 2/3 times per day and it’s still exactly the same.

I’ve made an appointment with the Dr.

I don’t see it going away without intervention 😢

iluvmybike

Über Member
If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

I always end up popping them and didn't realise that could cause issues.

Was going to advise the OP of my method which was make a Epsom salt compress to draw it out, quick nick with a clean pin and then pop it.

In my pal's case the cyst grew under the skin and went rather deep in and became infected. It then required surgery to get at it - it seemd to clear but came back again with a vengeance. You should never try to 'pop' anything like that as you run a big risk of infection and any attempt to squeeze can drive them further into the skin. Go and get medical advice before you do anything. Doiing things sensibly now can avert a much longer lay-off

Top Bottom