Sore skin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

spuggy

Thank you, from what I can find it would be too narrow for my sitbones. I’m 155 the men’s version of this is 144 and the women’s is 5 bigger. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, I’m very new to this.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thank you, from what I can find it would be too narrow for my sitbones. I’m 155 the men’s version of this is 144 and the women’s is 5 bigger. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, I’m very new to this.

i would bow to @vickster knowledge , the ladle is 155 mm wide according to the review on bike radar , another option could be a fabric scoop gel ?
https://road.cc/content/review/218646-fabric-scoop-gel-saddle

I wouldnt want you to buy a saddle and it be wrong , have you gone back to the shop and told them your issues ?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's also worth looking at saddle inclination / pitch - if it's nose-up this could be causing excessive contact in this area. Worth ensuring it's dead flat and if there's still a problem try nosing it down a few degrees.

freiston

Veteran
I used to suffer similarly on rides over about 25 miles. I found that some padded cyclewear caused more discomfort than others (but had discomfort to some degree with all) - based on how wide and thick the padding was in the affected area - some pads just seemed to get in the way/rub me up the wrong way more than others. I also found that the sweatier the pad got, the worse the problem got - dampness was a major factor. I switched to roubaix tights (Tudor Sports York tights) with no underwear or padding, or thin silky microfibre trunk style underwear with a bit of length in the leg beyond the crotch (regular M&S type stuff - not cycling specific) with Endura Hummvee cycling trousers. This improved things a lot but still didn't fully resolve the issue.

A friend gave me a Selle Italia Epoca leather saddle and the problem has disappeared for me. I'm not sure what the saddle has contributed to the fix but I suspect a big part of it is that the leather is a lot "slippier" and so there is less friction against moving surfaces. I also suspect there is some improvement in my "sitting" position/saddle shape, also causing less friction. I can't remember the last time I cycled more than 40 miles in one go and so I can only vouch for this up to about that distance.

One other thing - if I've been off the bike for several days (weeks), I can get a little sore first ride out. Also, if you do get sore, I would recommend that, if possible, you keep off the bike especially for longer rides, until the affected area has healed.

The charge ladle / madison leia is a good starter point for any lady with saddle issues. I found they suit my bum rather nicely, and I've not had to look elsewhere. With a saddle, you should be perched on it, not feel like you're sitting over it.

But chafing is a different kettle of fish. Not shaving down there really does help, as the hair stops skin rubbing against skin. There was an article floating around recently about just this topic with respect to the GB track squad.

I'd also recommend seamless running undies (the ones from Decathlon are good) as they don't rub, and moisture wicks away very quickly. Sorry, I'm not a fan of going commando on the bike.

But I will say that I find less padding (or none at all) much more comfy than too much padding in my shorts / tights. When you've too much padding or it's the wrong shape, it folds awkwardly and then pinches in the places you'd rather not get pinched in. You could just try riding in a basic pair of running leggings and see if that makes a difference.

ExBrit

Über Member
I can recommend Lantaseptic combined with padded shorts and undershorts and a Sella Anatomica saddle - bearing in mind that saddle comfort is very subjective. Mind you - I've been riding so long my tender bits are quite leathery and I only need cream if I'm riding over 100 miles. I literally finished a 100 mile ride 30 minutes ago with zero discomfort. Hope you get this figured out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spuggy

Just thought I’d update for anyone else suffering. I’ve now had several pain free rides 😃
Saddle is tipped slightly down at the front, no shaving and Alpkits bib shorts (currently £25 in the sale) have saved me. Either that or I’ve just got used to it after several weeks.

CXRAndy

Guru
However for me I predominantly suffer from it after using a static bike which I put down to sitting in one place for a long time as opposed to being in and out of the saddle when cycling outside.

A rocker board will help also, ventilation, by using a fan to blow air at your crotch, keeps sweating moisture lower via evaporation.

Top Bottom