Sore skin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spuggy

I’m very new to cycling, I got my bike about 6 weeks ago and I love it but the skin that’s in contact with the bike saddle is not coping well! I get lots of red hard lumps that are sore and almost itchy every time I ride at the very top of my inner thigh where the saddle is. I’ve changed my saddle to a mimic bridge which I’ve had for 4 weeks on a trial so I’m going to swap that to a mimic comp which has a shorter nose. I’ve bought shorts/bibs with chammys and yep I’m wearing them knickerless and I’ve got chammy cream. Nothing seems to make it any better. Riding 10km has the same effect as riding 60km.
Do I just need to keep going and wait for things to toughen up? Or is there something else I can try? Someone who’s had the same please tell me it goes away 😂

OldShep

Über Member
skin that’s in contact with the bike saddle is not coping well! I get lots of red hard lumps that are sore and almost itchy every time I ride at the very top of my inner thigh where the saddle is

That shouldn’t be in contact. Sounds as if you’re rubbing the nose of the saddle. Is your saddle too wide or maybe the padding in your shorts is too thick? I’ve known a little contouring on the saddle cove can also cause a problem.
My first action would be to ditch the shorts and wear a high leg cotton underwear you should be able to ride 60k without padding.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you do any shaving/waxing down there? If so, that could well be making things worse, a slight trim should be ok, but for females especially it has been shown that hairless is worse.

I find this stuff used after showering post cycle helps heal sore skin. https://www.assos.com/int/skin-repair-gel-tube-75-ml-p13-90-910-99.html

Your tights should be very snug so no movement

Yours sounds quite severe and may need medical attention and rest from the saddle to heal.

You might want to consider a bike/saddle fit.
Presumably it’s a roadbike?

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
saddle height and shape all have bearing on comfort.
My fit has morphed over the last 10 years as i suffered with saddle sores in the join between leg and crotch which was caused by my saddle being to high so i was rocking on the edge of the saddle .
I then changed saddle shape as i found the narrow flat style was longer comfy to a fabric scoop radius which was for years very comfy .
Finally i have moved onto a charge spoon which is a similar shape to the scoop but the top cover goes completely over the edge of the saddle base rather than stopping at the edge which was again causing me discomfort in the same area as yours.

Looking at the blurb mimic tech is just fancy way of saying its got different thickness of padding across the saddle but its still a flat saddle ?
you could try the spoon as its on offer at tredz and do sell well if you cant get on with it .
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Charge-Spoon-Cromo-Saddle_65215.htm?sku=935948&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Parts And Components > Saddles > Performance saddles&utm_content=Charge&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcLamdKYgAMVPIBQBh11bAdrEAQYASABEgLQ-fD_BwE

OP
OP
S

spuggy

Thanks for the advice I am hairless and female 😂
I’ll have a look at those saddles. From what I’ve read it sounds like my saddles too wide but I had my sit bones measured and the saddles the right width.

OP
OP
S

spuggy

And it’s a gravel bike

Chislenko

Veteran
Must admit I have suffered similarly (male and not shaved😊)

However for me I predominantly suffer from it after using a static bike which I put down to sitting in one place for a long time as opposed to being in and out of the saddle when cycling outside.

I nowadays bung a load of Sudocrem around the affected area pre ride.

Big John

Guru
I used to use Udderly Smooth for years then, for reasons which escape me at the moment, I swapped to vaseline. Didn't have any problems with either. Then a few months ago I forgot to put anything on and only realised when I was out on the bike. Expected a bit of soreness on the undercarriage but had no problems. Since then I've used nothing on a three hour ride and got away with it. I think over they years my skin must have turned to leather 😳

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
sitting down on the turbo for a long time shouldnt be an issue unless your doing hours at a time , i was doing alpe zwift 2-3 times a week post collar bone operation and had no issues .
As @vickster says there are many factors with bike / saddle fit , i do use chamois cream for 3 hour plus rides but not for shorter ones .

Top Bottom