Paint for my Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Any idea where I could get some touch up paint (Spray or brush) for my Raleigh Royale. The other bike is my wife's Touriste. Thanks.

Nail varnish perhaps.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Those Raleighs had fantastic paintwork!

As above I loiter in Superdrug choosing the perfect match - it works a treat.

Raleigh paint in the steel era was very good, even on the lower end models. Superior to Dawes, IMHO, and spec for spec Dawes tended to be more expensive bikes.
I'm not convinced those Raleighs are a straightforward finish. They look to me like there is something else lurking underneath the deep red that alters how the paint looks. My Mirror Red 501 Pioneer frame has similar paint.
Beyond very small chip touch-ups you are not going to be able to replicate those finishes at home out of a bottle!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Nail varnish is good.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thanks very much everyone for the helpful replies. The nail varnish has done the job. Got a near perfect match. Could I spray over it with some clear lacquer? Looks good.

I suggest you put a dab of the nail varnish on a bit of scrap metal, let it dry out completely then overcoat it with lacquer to test for reactions, before lacquering the bike itself. The Raleigh paint is extremely unlikely to be reactive, but the nail varnish might be, depending on it's solvent chemistry. You don't want to find out the hard way that it is going to bubble up. :eek:

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Raleigh paint in the steel era was very good, even on the lower end models. Superior to Dawes, IMHO, and spec for spec Dawes tended to be more expensive bikes.
I'm not convinced those Raleighs are a straightforward finish. They look to me like there is something else lurking underneath the deep red that alters how the paint looks. My Mirror Red 501 Pioneer frame has similar paint.
Beyond very small chip touch-ups you are not going to be able to replicate those finishes at home out of a bottle!
I agree, I'm restoring an Raleigh Winner af the mo blue with sparkles/white with a bit of sheen. I have one chip just behind the shifters. Can't find a nail varnish anywhere near the colour so it's staying as is 😂

Top Bottom