Paint or Powder Coat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help reqd.

My wife's Rockhopper requires a respray. I had it sprayed about 5 years ago, but it now has surface rust in places.

As we do a lot of touring which would be best/most durable a decent paint job (from a reputable firm) or powder coating ?

Also (aprt fom Mercian) does anyone know of other frame sprayers/powders coaters around Derby ?

thanks

skwerl

powder coat is s'posed to be mostly bomb-proof. just not as aesthetically pleasing as paint

domtyler

Über Member
skwerl said:
powder coat is s'posed to be mostly bomb-proof. just not as aesthetically pleasing as paint

I don't think it would be bomb proof as it is comprised of plastic which would surely melt in the blast.

campagman

Guru
itisaboutthebike, I have had two frames powder coated at Millenium Site Services which is just off Raynesway in Derby (see the yellow pages). The finish is good and tough but don't expect to get any flashy paint effects. You will also need to blank off all the holes and other areas that you do not want filled with paint. About £45.

P.H

Über Member
My Hewitt has a lacquer layer that feels like plastic, it makes it almost as tough as the powder coat finish on my Thorn. All Hewitt reviews praise the paint finish. They're painted by the importers Autostrada Engineering in Shenstone near Tamworth. I know they do re-sprays, I don't know the cost or if you need to go through a LBS.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've had bikes enamelled and powder coated (not the same bikes at the same time, you understand...) Anyway, a decent enamel job will probably be £100 or more. A good paint shop will tempt you into having pin stripes, flashy paint and various other bells and whistles so that it could well be more.

Powder coat costs me about £30 from Hutchcoat (Ganthorpe, York - not helpful for Derby, I know...) It's as tough as old boots - much more durable than enamel, and better for a bike that's going to go touring, especially if you're ever going to put it on a train or plane. You don't, though, get anything flashy, just plain solid colours.

You pays your money...

Top Bottom