Paint schemes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gareth01244

Veteran
Having just uploaded a few new photos of my Ian May bike I went online to research bikes from 1996 as it's a date stamped on the BB and it brought up an Eddy merckx titane with a very similar paint job. My question is, did frame painters copy each other designs, where there other paint schemes that found there way onto other brands bikes?
20190526_115358.jpg
eddy_merckx_titane_em_1996.jpg
eddy_merckx_titane_em_1996.jpg

midlife

Guru
There are only so many paint schemes lol. That's why they went all fade /fluoro / fishnet /art decor :smile:

As @midlife says there has always been a lot of paint schemes”inspired “ by the big brands.I have a Merckx with that scheme, which was one of the house styles at that time. Colnago’s art decor, the one wuth the cyclist on the top tube, has been used by many others.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
"Dudley" Orbits from the early 90s used a fairly unique soft checkerboard effect. I assume they sprayed the second colour through a mask held some distance from the frame. Never saw anyone copy that.

DRM

Guru
A certain well known Chinese online market place and purveyors of any and everything you can think of had knock off Pinerello frames in Sky colours, even one with the Rhinos head graphic on it like Chris Froome’s, along with the kit, all you needed was an inhaler and you too could be a pro, just shows that nothing changes, people want a copy of the equipment their heroes use, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were already selling knock off Team Ineos kit.

Top Bottom