Paint stripper's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
I can't wait to see the recommendations. I've tried many and not had any great success to date. What I have discovered is that different paint finishes seem to require different methods to remove the paint. Recently I used Nitromors, which works fine on domestic paints, but it had little effect on a powder coated frame. Even a blowtorch struggled to shift it. Elbow grease and sandpaper seemed to work best.

Colin_P

Guru
The EU made manufacturers take out the best active ingredient from most DIY available paint strippers, which was Dichloromethane. Probably the same EU think tank that dreamt up and thought dropping the wattage of hoover motors was a good idea not realising that people would simply have to hoover for longer thus using the same overall energy. Did they ever get their hands on our kettles, not bought one for ages?

However, you can still buy stuff with a goodly dose of Dichloromethane in it if you look carefully. Starchem Synstrip for example. Be warned though it is powerful stuff and you really DO need to wear PPE to use it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The EU made manufacturers take out the best active ingredient from most DIY available paint strippers, which was Dichloromethane. Probably the same EU think tank that dreamt up and thought dropping the wattage of hoover motors was a good idea not realising that people would simply have to hoover for longer thus using the same overall energy. Did they ever get their hands on our kettles, not bought one for ages?

However, you can still buy stuff with a goodly dose of Dichloromethane in it if you look carefully. Starchem Synstrip for example. Be warned though it is powerful stuff and you really DO need to wear PPE to use it.
I used to work with it in 79-80, one part of the factory made rubber encased rotary wire brushes for the shoe trade and they used a 'bath' that held a couple of hundred gallons to degrease the wire brushes before they went into the moulds.It was heated to around 70c to make it more effectiive but they had waterfilled cooling rings around the top of this tank to stop the vapour escaping which was fine as long as the guy remembered to turn the pump on.

Colin_P

Guru
I used to work with it in 79-80, one part of the factory made rubber encased rotary wire brushes for the shoe trade and they used a 'bath' that held a couple of hundred gallons to degrease the wire brushes before they went into the moulds.It was heated to around 70c to make it more effectiive but they had waterfilled cooling rings around the top of this tank to stop the vapour escaping which was fine as long as the guy remembered to turn the pump on.

At tank of the stuff !

I'm sure you were all as high as kites with those fumes wafting about.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At tank of the stuff !

It's also used to decaffeinate coffee. :wacko:

Attachments

• wacko[1].gif
    wacko[1].gif
    681 bytes · Views: 1

raleighnut

Legendary Member
At tank of the stuff !

Nah the fumes were kept in check by the coolant coils, you could see the vapour condense and drip back into the tank.

Different story at the end of the factory where I mainly worked, we made bulk adhesives (for the shoe trade as well) There were four 500 gallon 'churns' into which a couple of hundred gallons of solvents* were dispensed by metered pumps (looking like old style petrol pumps) and we had the choice of Acetone, MEK or Toluene then we chucked in between a ton or more of various 'resins' depending on the recipe of that particular glue and after setting the temp sensor started the churn up and waited a few hours until the buzzer went. Then came the interesting bit, we had to lift the lid of the churn to take a sample then take it to the 'lab' and do a viscosity test to check all the solids had dissolved and if so pack into either 45 gallon drums or 5 gallon cans. That could send you a bit dizzy

* We had 3 underground tanks in the yard each of which was more than the size of a tanker so they could take a full load before they ran dry, oh and BTW this was in the middle of Enderby (opposite the Co-op)

weareHKR

* We had 3 underground tanks in the yard each of which was more than the size of a tanker so they could take a full load before they ran dry, oh and BTW this was in the middle of Enderby (opposite the Co-op)
Literally a ... 💥BOOM💥 town!

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
[QUOTE="Colin_P, post: 6310177, member: 38705

[/QUOTE]
Is this safe on alu

Top Bottom