Paint stripping carbon fork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a simple question but maybe not. Is it safe to strip a carbon fork with a chemical stripper or would it be safer to carefully sand the paint off.

Why ?

Ooh! Not sure what the chemicals in the paint stripper would do to the epoxy resin in the carbon fibre .
I repaired the carbon fork on my Boardman where it was joined to the aluminium fork crown but I rubbed that down with a sanding block. I discovered that the aluminium had corroded and the resin had broken away . I laid up some fresh carbon tape over the join after treating the aluminium. It is holding up .

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Ooh! Not sure what the chemicals in the paint stripper would do to the epoxy resin in the carbon fibre .
I repaired the carbon fork on my Boardman where it was joined to the aluminium fork crown but I rubbed that down with a sanding block. I discovered that the aluminium had corroded and the resin had broken away . I laid up some fresh carbon tape over the join after treating the aluminium. It is holding up .

I ask the question for my son not me.....l would go the wet and dry sanding method if it was really necessary !

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Pesonally I'd not allow paint stripper anywhere near a composite component..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the fork is coloured and there are deep scratches a thin skim of filler could be spread over the scratches and then flatter back prior to painting .

This, and lightly sand back the lacquer so the new paint has a key. That's how I painted my steel bikes, took out the scratches, sanded smooth, but left some old undercoat on/keyed paint, then re-painted. Worked fine.

Top Bottom