Paint touch up tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
I managed to get hold of this rather lovely Gazelle Champion Mondial frame which I believe came out the factory in 1976. It's in good condition but there's a few places, for example where the shifters and front mech band ons have scraped away the paint, down to bare metal.
I don't mind its battle scars and don't intend to try and colour match the paint and touch up. However, I would like to prevent rusting.
I've been advised clear coating the scraped bits is the way forward but I've never done this before. It sounds straight forward but I'd like to get the benefit of cyclechat experience on anything I should bear in mind/products and tips for a good job. Is this the sort of thing @screenman might chip (pun intended) in on?
Cheers in advance and here's a couple of pics...

IMAG1396.jpg

Closer view of scrapes..
IMAG1396_1.jpg

Last edited:

S-Express

Nice looking frame, and I think you are doing the right thing by keeping it original. If you want to preserve the frame as is, I would give the whole thing a couple of coats of clear, rather than just dabbing over the scratches - which when dry, will end up looking like you have simply touched up the scratches.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Nice looking frame, and I think you are doing the right thing by keeping it original. If you want to preserve the frame as is, I would give the whole thing a couple of coats of clear, rather than just dabbing over the scratches - which when dry, will end up looking like you have simply touched up the scratches.
I agree, a couple of coats of clear lacquer will help to preserve the originality if the frame.

johnnyb47

Guru
I found some airfix model paint that was the perfect match for my Peugeot Equipe. I used a cocktail stick to remedy the odd stone chips it had gained over its 33 years of life and are now virtually invisible.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom