painting brakes white

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

has anyone ever painted the brakes of their bike?

I wanted to get a new saddle for my mountain bike the same as my road bike's one as it's really comfy. But they only had white ones in so I thought that'd look really good on my road bike as it's mainly black but with white bits anyway, so now i've got a white saddle on and have put the black one my mtb.. BUT - i now think my road bike would look even more cool with white bar tape and white brakes.
Obviously I would dismantle the caliper first so the paint wouldn't clog up the moving parts. But given that, what harm could a coat of hammerite do? If it would be too thick and look a bit streaky, i was thinking i could powder coat them, having put blu-tack in the thing the centre screw threads through?

is it a hair-brained idea, or is it likely to be ok (or both?)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No..... will look nasty - stick with white saddle and bar tape.

You'd have to spray them to get a good finish, but it will chip off easily. Don't do it.

Abitrary

I think that the *second* you start worrying about single parts on your bike looking incongruous, is the time to make every part of your bike look incongruous.

Sort of like emo / electroclash. Trust me, it's coming right back in.

TVC

White walled tyres and a big whippy arial would help as well... along with furry dice hung from the stem.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Bonj, you will need to put mudguards on now. It will soon turn a browny grey, and the handlebars will go the same.
:tongue:
You could go fixed and have a white chain aswell. Not sure they do them for geared bikes though.

Abitrary

longers said:
I hope so. Got white handlebars on order already :tongue:.

White is so last week??? I've got some chrome ones coming. Word of advice, getting handlebars delivered... make sure you leave a delivery instruction telling them not to try screwing them through the letterbox if you are not home.

longers

Legendary Member
S'okay - they're flat. I have heard of drops being wrapped in brown paper and successfully posted by a resourceful postie threading them through.

If white is so last week then I'll be almost living in the future :tongue:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Flippin'eck Bonj, have you been at the GO Bars again?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Look, I'LL be the judge of whether it'll LOOK nice or not, just tell me whether there will be any technical problem with it!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

fossyant said:
No..... will look nasty - stick with white saddle and bar tape.

You'd have to spray them to get a good finish, but it will chip off easily. Don't do it.

ah - so powder coating could be the answer then?

Top Bottom