painting crank arms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I would like to get my white crank arms painted in black or whatever. Gunmetal grey.

What will I need, and how do I do it?

Is it going to be cheaper than paying the paint shop the quoted 20 quid?

Thanks

Stu

snorri

Legendary Member
If a professional paint shop will do the complete job, labour and materials for £20 go for it.
If you want cheap, I suppose you could get an aerosol spray and a newspaper to mask the rest of your bike for less than £10, but the quality is likely to be short lived.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Ye
If a professional paint shop will do the complete job, labour and materials for £20 go for it.
If you want cheap, I suppose you could get an aerosol spray and a newspaper to mask the rest of your bike for less than £10, but the quality is likely to be short lived.

Yeah that's what I thought, altho I should note the crank arms are already removed from the bike so that would require much less Newspaper lop.

adamhearn

Veteran
Assuming that you're going to be the current surface keyed, appropriate primer applied and then paint and clear coat for £20 then it's a bargain so go for it.

Aerosol sprays are good enough if you prepare the surface and then paint the parts in the correct manner (hanging them up, maintaining the correct temperature, applying an even coat, etc.). Parts required: degreaser, wet and dry, paint, clear-coat, tack cloths. You will probably get it done for £10/15 if you need everything or so so you're not saving much if anything.

D

Deleted member 23692

Power coating would be a much better option for crank arms. It's far harder wearing than paint

Trull

Über Member
That twenty quid is well spent with the paint shop. I'm assuming this is for powder coating? Just make sure you blank off any exposed threads maybe with a broken pedal etc.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Get a pro to do it, by the time you get the primer colour and clearcoat it will cost more than that in paint

Yeah cheers that's how it seems! If I were going all out for frames etc but just for a pair of crank arms it ain't worth it. Unless anyone's got a fsa omega Chainset in black going spare..?!

midlife

Guru
The finishers should have the correct silicone bungs to block off the threads and tapers :smile:

Shaun

screenman

Legendary Member
Using single pack it will rub off very quickly. The good thing is you should have plenty of paint left to repaint it after every few rides.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Poundland. Primer and black paint sold there. You could even stick them in the oven for a few hours at very low to bake the paint. If it all goes tits up you can always strip it off with a bit of paint stripper. £2 worth a punt.

compo

Veteran
Poundland. Primer and black paint sold there. You could even stick them in the oven for a few hours at very low to bake the paint. If it all goes tits up you can always strip it off with a bit of paint stripper. £2 worth a punt.

I have used those Poundland primers and black gloss and surprisingly they have done a good job on a number of small jobs such as quill stems, handlebars and seat posts on various old bikes. I don't think I would attempt a frame respray though.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

Cheers I'll give that a go if I get into it by way of a hobby!

Meanwhile, 20 quid well spent I feel..!
DSC_0064.JPG

Top Bottom