Painting over wallpaper ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have read mixed reviews about doing it and i am after some advice
Mink ck 2 room has embossed butterfly pattern wallpaper which she has outgrown and its very tatty , can i paint over it with textured paint or will the pattern show through?
Its a bit of a major job if i have to strip the room as its the smallest room so any furniture moves mean taking them out of the room
I have successfully used this stuff for covering over wallpaper:

It seals over the wallpaper, and acts like an undercoat. Splat some emulsion over it when dry, job done! Depends on how deep your butterfly embossing is whether or not it will show through, but once painted over it might look ok.. Your call!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let the embossed pattern show through, and simply call it a tasteful, understated upcycling project :okay:
I am in a rental property which has similar wallpaper up the stairs onto the landing. They actually ran out of paper before the finish so there is one strip of lining paper there. I don't think that it looks great, but so what! Life is too short to worry about wallpapering/painting - I'd rather be doing something more interesting. :laugh:

Scaleyback

Veteran
Sadly there is no short cut to a quality finish. You have to remove the old paper. Almost certainly the new paint will soak thru the paper and soften the existing paste causing paper sag. Remove the paper, wash the wall with sugar soap to remove old paste, repair any imperfections, size the walls, hang new paper . , . Enjoy. :ohmy:

Dave7

Legendary Member

View attachment 611673
It seals over the wallpaper, and acts like an undercoat. Splat some emulsion over it when dry, job done! Depends on how deep your butterfly embossing is whether or not it will show through, but once painted over it might look ok.. Your call!
That looks good. It may be the answer to my problem.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive been painting over wallpaper today...again.
Its a spare room, generally not used or decorated in 10 to 15 years. It pains me to paint over paper but ive been on it for2 days already, tomorrow sees me laying carpet and putting everything back.

How long does everyone take to do a room ? After 3 days i start to lose the will to live ^_^
In my younger days, i'd start a room and not go to bed till it was finished .

I deally, id always strip the paper off first, its going to make it all three times harder when you everntually do..

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

View attachment 611673
tried it, good coat of that paint then painted over it causing the paper to bubble so i ended up stripping the lot .Unfortunatly our walls are bumpy so i will have to use textured paintable wallpaper over it then paint that as i already have the paint .

Scaleyback

Veteran
tried it, good coat of that paint then painted over it causing the paper to bubble so i ended up stripping the lot .Unfortunatly our walls are bumpy so i will have to use textured paintable wallpaper over it then paint that as i already have the paint .

Er ! What did I tell you ? :blush:

Mrs M

Guru
The last painter we employed to do a job was asked to strip the old paper, put on lining paper then paint it.
Played all daft when

we came home to find he’d just painted over the existing paper!
Turned out not too bad but have learned we can do a decent job so just do it ourselves next time 👍

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If buying a wallpaper stripper, you want the type which is essentially a tea-urn with a hose to the handpiece. They do work well but it's still a balls' ache. I got on better using the steam cleaning nozzle attachment to direct steam under the paper's edge, rather than the flat plate stripping gubbins intended for stripping. Depends on how bad the plaster is, you may get big chunks falling off. One place we ended up more or less replastering, but our last place was more sound just needed pollyfiller. Flats were respectivley Georgian and mid-victorian.

My view is wallpaper is the devil's work so I'd just bite the bullet and steam the bloody stuff off

Top Bottom