palpitations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Since becoming serious about cycling I can't sleep on my left side as it brings on palpitations.
That's interesting - I had the same thing when my clots were severely affecting my heart rhythm! It must be due to the weight of the heart pressing it down on some important tissues (nerves, blood vessels, whatever)?

Ooh, apparently it can be a sign of mitral valve prolapse! Interesting information HERE.

Pedro2015

I found electrolytes helped mine. I was getting them after long rides the next day figured I was dehydrated and low in salts. I have suffered on and off for years with them. When I figured this out it got me thinking about my body. I have always went for a wee a lot after drinking fluids I must have spent a lot of my life dehydrated and low in salts

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Since becoming serious about cycling I can't sleep on my left side as it brings on palpitations.
Same here, didn't like sleeping on the back either. Palpitation problem seems to have gone away though since I received a pacemaker implant 5 months ago.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm currently having investigations for this.
I'm on my 2nd cardiologist and I am currently wired up to another monitor (for the third time). My first cardiologist seemed to be saying "it's all ok nothing to worry about" and almost palmed me off, but this new one seems to be thinking "lets get this sorted out".
I have a very slow heart rate (I actually measured 41bpm last night in bed !!!! its usually low 50's) and every so often my heart skips a beat (atrial fibulation or ectopic beats).
The biggest issue I have is that my heart rate drops like a stone after it has been raised and a couple of times when I have stepped off my bike and sat down, I pass out (after a couple of time trials and once when a mate punctured). So tonights job is to try and bring that on whilst wearing the monitor so they can see whats happening. The cardiologist wanted me to do it in hospital but the hospital had other ideas it seems.

I too find my heart beats slower/pounds when I sleep on my left. I also find that after a few drinks my heart is worse. Although my 'new' cardiologist said that the links between caffeine and alcohol on your heart beat are overstated.
It seems like a common issue tied to being older and fit (I'm only 45!). My cardiologist agreed when I joked that I was too fit for my own good.

gavgav

Guru
I'm currently having investigations for this.
I'm on my 2nd cardiologist and I am currently wired up to another monitor (for the third time). My first cardiologist seemed to be saying "it's all ok nothing to worry about" and almost palmed me off, but this new one seems to be thinking "lets get this sorted out".
I have a very slow heart rate (I actually measured 41bpm last night in bed !!!! its usually low 50's) and every so often my heart skips a beat (atrial fibulation or ectopic beats).
The biggest issue I have is that my heart rate drops like a stone after it has been raised and a couple of times when I have stepped off my bike and sat down, I pass out (after a couple of time trials and once when a mate punctured). So tonights job is to try and bring that on whilst wearing the monitor so they can see whats happening. The cardiologist wanted me to do it in hospital but the hospital had other ideas it seems.

I too find my heart beats slower/pounds when I sleep on my left. I also find that after a few drinks my heart is worse. Although my 'new' cardiologist said that the links between caffeine and alcohol on your heart beat are overstated.
It seems like a common issue tied to being older and fit (I'm only 45!). My cardiologist agreed when I joked that I was too fit for my own good.
I hope you get things sorted.

I had episodes 3 years ago of my heart racing to 300 beats per minute and had to do Valsava Manoueveres to right it again. I had a multitude of tests and scans and they diagnosed Mahaim Fiber Tachycardia. I had a procedure called ablation done, which involved threading wires into my heart and burning away the Fiber that was screwing up my electric signals.

I still get the odd Ectopic Beat, but have cycled over 2500 miles since and have had no recurrence.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I hope you get things sorted.

I had episodes 3 years ago of my heart racing to 300 beats per minute and had to do Valsava Manoueveres to right it again. I had a multitude of tests and scans and they diagnosed Mahaim Fiber Tachycardia. I had a procedure called ablation done, which involved threading wires into my heart and burning away the Fiber that was screwing up my electric signals.

I still get the odd Ectopic Beat, but have cycled over 2500 miles since and have had no recurrence.
Thanks gavgav,
The ablation procedure has been mooted. I've had my last round of tests and I'm just waiting to see the cardiologist again. In some ways I'm glad I'm having the missing beats rather than having 300bpm!:eek:
It's good to hear you got sorted.

Top Bottom