Pannier and rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotFabian

EACC
I commute on an old steel raleigh(reynolds 531) now converted to fixed...anyway...Up to now I've been using a small rucksack but would like to move to a pannier setup. The frame has 'eyes' at the dropouts but no facility at the top of the seat stays, anyone out there recommend an inexpensive rack and panniers bearing all this in mind. :smile:

compo

Veteran
A couple of rubber lined (to protect the frame paintwork) P clips will allow you to fasten the rack on the seat stays, or you can get a clamp that fastens onto your seat post with tapped holes each side to take the rack struts.

Funny enough I used P clips yesterday on one of my bikes.

17082013_zpsaf96e47b.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Personally, I'd go for 'p' clips on the seat stays and a conventional rack (ie witha pair of stays) if there's no braze-ons. Not convinced by the single stay type, though I have had ne, as more wobbly - in fairness though, this was a poor rack generally. I am very impressed by my tubus rack - their lightweight model (airey?) is really good. I went for titanium bling, but the normal one is better value.

compo

Veteran
The p clip option looks good, secure too.

Thanks

The P clips are a cheap, reliable and secure solution. Just measure your seat stay diameter to get the right size. The size includes the rubber. Monty Veda's suggestion is also well worth consideration especially if you are in any way concerned about cosmetic effects on your bike. It probably looks a bit better. The only downside could be it getting in the way if you use an under saddle tool pack.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
you need something like this...

!BzgncZ!BWk~$%28KGrHqF,!h8Ew5OtIwq9BMWYRZz%29Yw~~_35.JPG

... and most adjustable racks should fit... just search 'pannier seat clamp', they cost about a fiver.

I use one of these. As I'm quite short my seat post is not extended very much above the frame. To use the rack and panniers I have to remove my tool bag and put this in the panniers. It's not a big issue until you take the rack off, forget to replace the tool bag which contains your spare tube and p******* repair kit........... long walk home.

:sad: :sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The P clips are a cheap, reliable and secure solution. Just measure your seat stay diameter to get the right size. The size includes the rubber. Monty Veda's suggestion is also well worth consideration especially if you are in any way concerned about cosmetic effects on your bike. It probably looks a bit better. The only downside could be it getting in the way if you use an under saddle tool pack.
being rather lanky... there's plenty of room for my undersaddle bag, 5 1/2 inches clearance between the top of my rack and base of the saddle bag... but nothing really goes on top of my rack as my entire camping kit fits in my panniers.

OP
OP
NotFabian

NotFabian

EACC
Thanks all, not bothered about cosmetic effect, it's def. a commuter hack built myself from an old road bike.

Biggs682- that's a very kind gesture, I'll def be interested, if you have a look and pm me cost and payment info it'd be good, maybe a pic too?

Top Bottom