Pannier bag woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Outer edge pannier bag had a little failure yesterday, one of the rivets broke and the bags handle came off. Not the best made kit for 30 quid, but it was a 35L waterproof bag and has worked really well in the wet.

I dont have time to fix it (means a trip to B&Q I expect) so I went down the LBS to get an altura waterproof one. My god what a faff. No matter how I fiddle with it I cannot get the thing to fit on my rack - the canti brakes get in the way if its too forward, and the bend in the tubing gets in the way if I move it back.

Must be an easier way to do this. :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
I tried some cheap options and eventually got Ortleib and been good since

that said, all panniers need to be fitted right

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Crankarm said:
This thread is suffering from a lack of pics which would be very helpful.
Not much to show really. The altura system is pretty famous and works for most normal racks - like madison. Only thing is mine is a slightly odd shaped rack.. instead of the stays straight down they bend under the shelf at right angles to the length of the shelf/bike.

Finally got it fitted. Took 2 hours of tweaking. :angry: Just realised the loss of 15L of space could cause issues if I go shopping.

tordis

+1 for the Ortliebs. I used to have cheap ones from Lidl, they did the job pretty well (although they were far from waterproof), but they eventually fell into pieces, so I had to invest in a new set. Got the Front Rollers and, so far, I'm very pleased with them. Super easy to fit, quick to release, they look good and are (apparently - haven't tested yet) completely waterproof.

dondare

Über Member
downfader said:
Outer edge pannier bag had a little failure yesterday, one of the rivets broke and the bags handle came off. Not the best made kit for 30 quid, but it was a 35L waterproof bag and has worked really well in the wet.

I dont have time to fix it (means a trip to B&Q I expect) so I went down the LBS to get an altura waterproof one. My god what a faff. No matter how I fiddle with it I cannot get the thing to fit on my rack - the canti brakes get in the way if its too forward, and the bend in the tubing gets in the way if I move it back.

Must be an easier way to do this. :wahhey:

The next step will be a new carrier, and it'll end up with a new bike.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think a pair of Orts will be on the shopping list soon. Did plan on getting them ages ago but other things just popped up.. oneday!

stevepratt48 said:
Argos, go for the 'Ortlieb' lookalike, at £19.98, works for me!

They did for me too until the coating started to crack where it rolls up and the bag started to pull away from the pannier mounts.

Though the pannier is still useful - I bought a pair of proper Orleibs and use the Canyon Ortleib-a-like just for taking the bottles and cans to the recycling on the way in to work, to save my good panniers from getting all stuicky and stale-beery.

Tynan

Veteran
18 months in with my back roller and it's still utterly A1 despite being used hard five days a week

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sheffield_Tiger said:
They did for me too until the coating started to crack where it rolls up and the bag started to pull away from the pannier mounts.

Though the pannier is still useful - I bought a pair of proper Orleibs and use the Canyon Ortleib-a-like just for taking the bottles and cans to the recycling on the way in to work, to save my good panniers from getting all stuicky and stale-beery.

With a bit of tweaking and a couple of quids worth of stuff you should be able to get most of the cheap ones reinforced I reckon. Its what I plan on doing with mine.

The Altura worked well today. No rain though. B) Still getting used to it and every now and again my heal strikes the thing, so might try and tweak again this weekend.

Top Bottom