Pannier snap!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My 10 miles a day commuting regime slipped a bit this week, thanks to the heat, an unexpected training course and a couple of after work drinks, so I went out to top up to 50 for the week this morning.

Coming back across the racecourse, bimbling at about 12mph, I was overtaken by a chap. I half thought of giving chase, and then noticed he had the same Creek to Peak pannier as me, so I did catch him, and said "We could play pannier snap!"

He'd also noticed the pannier as he passed me, and we had a nice chat for the next half mile or so - he lives in Fulford, cycles to the station, commutes by train to Sheffield to a bank, and is off to cycle to Eastbourne in a couple of weeks with a much fitter mate, hence his Sunday morning training. I told him how I was making up my miles for the week, and was just back from France, and how I'd cycled to and from Sheffield as part of the trip.

We diverged at the Bishy Road, him to take the off road track to the Millennium Bridge, me to take the road route - these being two opposite right angles of a rectangle, we spotted each other again at the bridge, and waved, before I peeled off down the riverside, and he crossed the bridge.

Funny, how you share these moments with people you'll probably never see again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last week I did the Biggest Bike Ride and saw a unicycle and took a photo of it:
2nq5jqh.jpg

Then went to the Bike Breakfast mid week. Locking my bike up as someone was unlocking on the other side of the temporary railings - suddenly noticed the bike - a unicycle with the same red rim - looked up and it was the same bloke.... so ended up having a quick chat with him.

He's intending on doing Coast to Coast on a unicycle for the British Heart Foundation:

http://pmh1wheel.wordpress.com/

On the ride I had taken the photo so that I could check what it said on the back - but at home I discovered that it was too bright to record the details.

I once had a similar interaction in a race. I'd been racing mtb all night, and it was 7.30 am, I was on my final lap a bit pooped. About half way around I heard a voice from behind who just asked me how many laps i'd done, so I replied. Then I started a conversation with the 'voice' which lasted the vast majority of the lap. No-one stopped riding or overtook or anything. Towards the end of the lap, he drew alongside me and said hello. It was like I'd just met a long lost friend! He then drew away, having only done 3 or so laps and I'd done a lot more than that! His name was Darren and he had a pink geared mtb. That's all I remember

In the finish area he came to say hello - just that - and then disappeared.

Odd, but v nice!

dav1d

Arch said:
My 10 miles a day commuting regime slipped a bit this week, thanks to the heat, an unexpected training course and a couple of after work drinks, so I went out to top up to 50 for the week this morning.

Coming back across the racecourse, bimbling at about 12mph, I was overtaken by a chap. I half thought of giving chase, and then noticed he had the same Creek to Peak pannier as me, so I did catch him, and said "We could play pannier snap!"

He'd also noticed the pannier as he passed me, and we had a nice chat for the next half mile or so - he lives in Fulford, cycles to the station, commutes by train to Sheffield to a bank, and is off to cycle to Eastbourne in a couple of weeks with a much fitter mate, hence his Sunday morning training. I told him how I was making up my miles for the week, and was just back from France, and how I'd cycled to and from Sheffield as part of the trip.

We diverged at the Bishy Road, him to take the off road track to the Millennium Bridge, me to take the road route - these being two opposite right angles of a rectangle, we spotted each other again at the bridge, and waved, before I peeled off down the riverside, and he crossed the bridge.

Funny, how you share these moments with people you'll probably never see again.

On my first Skyride of this year, I had a different and less enjoyable version of "Pannier Snap"! Cycling past an open gate, my left pannier bag caught on it, and the fixings broke, so one of the leaders helped me put it on the top of the rack as a temporary measure. Went to Edinburgh Bicycle Coop to see if they could fix it, but they can't because it's riveted.

dav1d

Emailed Edinburgh Bicycle Coop to see if they could sell me a pannier seperately - they only seem to come in pairs in the store. It wasn't their fault the pannier broke (it was mine, I'll be more crareful in future!), but they have sent me a replacment pannier which was nice of them. The hooks are faulty (it was a return), but I can put the hooks off my old broken pannier on it. I will be going on a short weekend tour soon, so it will come in handy!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
you should have got his number arch, or at least got him to register here…

Annoyingly, I wasn't wearing one bit of my CC kit....

As for his number - if he lives in Fulford, and commutes to Sheffield, I imagine he's a man with ties.

I don't mean the shirt and collar type.

He seemed nice though.

Top Bottom