Panniers and big feet

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by redjedi, 29 Apr 2010.

1. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

It's getting close to pay day and my purchase of a new bike.

I'm getting a single/fixed gear bike for commuting, shopping and general riding about on, so I want to add a rack and panniers to it.

I've read the occasional post about peoples heals clipping the bags, and I'm worried this might be more of a factor for someone with big feet.
    I'm a size 12 and I occasionally clip my heals on my chain stays (washers needed on the pedals to move them out).

Is this going to be a big problem when getting panniers to work?
    Is there a different type of rack that positions the bags further back?

2. iLB

iLB Hello there

might be one to post in touring as well luke

3. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

Yes, you're likely to have problems if you use a standard rack. I have size 11 and mine were hitting.

You need to get a rack with 2 mounting rails and use the lower ones. I now have about 1cm clearance, which isn't much but it's enough!

Not sure that a fixed wheel bike is the most suitable for use with panniers... as depending on what's in them you'll want a different gear!

4. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Agree with Tundragumski. Use a dual rail rack and, if you don't need the extra space, use front panniers on the rear. They are smaller. Also, if you can stretch to Ortlieb, they have a tilting rail system designed to avoid what you describe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice