Panniers full of beans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougster

In preparation for my first tour to France, I put on my 4 panniers and bar bag. I filled them full of assorted tins from the kitchen cupboard to approximately the weight of all my gear - about 20kg. I could hardly move the bike but once I got started it was fairly straightforward and the handling was not as difficult as I had anticipated. I tackled a few steep hills and was surprised that I didn't have to dismount. On the flat it felt very confortable and with a following breeze it was great. My regular loop takes about 1 hour 15 minutes and fully loaded I did it in about 1 hour 20. I can't wait to get going now but I suppose I should put the beans back where they belong and get the touring gear sorted out. I'll be using Bigtallfatbloke's list to keep me right.

Bigtallfatbloke

I'll be using Bigtallfatbloke's list to keep me right.

...is that such a good idea?:biggrin:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You might want to take it more slowly when loaded and not try to bust a gut...a loaded bike is much harder on the knees and it took us probably about a fortnight to really get used to laden panniers etc. I'd give yourself a bit more of a chance to acclimatise.

Now we're back, what's weird is getting used to the unloaded bike. I actually feel a bit insecure on Liesl now and have to get used to it all over again.

Bigtallfatbloke

Beans are for wimps...real men use concrete;):biggrin::biggrin:

...actually I prefer riding with a load as well. Ok it's bit harder, but I enjoy the few extra inches the traffic gives me when they see the load:biggrin:

The bike feels more stable loaded I feel, well mine does anyway. I have a tendancy to forget to pace myself when I first load the bike up & I ride as fast as I usually do, then blow out to quickly.

Top Bottom