Panniers or rucksack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Legendary Member
Location
Walsall
I have a Topeak Super tourist Dx w/ disc Mounts fitted on my Carrera Fury hardtail. I have the Topeak MTX Trunk Bag (which fits perfectly with the rack, btw) plus a pair of cheap Mainstream MTX panniers. I am very happy with this set up at present. Come's in handy for shopping and stowing my kickboxing gear etc.

see this thread for pics :

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15368
 
OP
OP
W

Willow

Guru
Location
Surrey
The toppeak disc mounted looks a useful tip as I have disc brakes - is it easy to fit or is it a shop job (talking basic person who has just about managed to get the handle bars back on right this afternoon after several attempts at getting the discs in the right order!
 

Plax

Legendary Member
Location
Wales
I've evolved to panniers. Started out using a rucksack everyday, then took the rucksack in on a Monday and home on a Friday using a lumbersack for the rest of the week. Now got Panniers and think they are great. I did have a rack briefly when I had a crApollo, and just bungied my rucksack to the top, but felt this affected the handling of the bike and I didn't like it. Now got a proper touring bike & rack with actual panniers and it is so much better, you don't really notice the extra weight or any difference in the handling of the bike.
 

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Location
Bristol
Panniers every time over the sweaty back... plus if you carry any weight in the rucsac it could add to your back ache. I only use one pannier for commuting and hardly ever notice its there unless I'm pushing it when heavily laden.
 

Bodhbh

Legendary Member
Had been quite happy using a rucksack, but switched to a single pannier few weeks back and found it much better. Although rucksack was a 45l walking thing with straps and buckles flying all over, so perhaps should give it a crack again with something more suitable (if I was made of money...).
 

mikeitup

Legendary Member
Location
Walsall
Willow said:
The toppeak disc mounted looks a useful tip as I have disc brakes - is it easy to fit or is it a shop job (talking basic person who has just about managed to get the handle bars back on right this afternoon after several attempts at getting the discs in the right order!

I'm pretty dumb as far as DIY goes but I fitted the rack myself. Pretty straightforward and seems sturdy enough for what I need it for.
You should have no problems. It comes with al the mounts for reflectors or topeak lights etc and fitting instructions.
 
Top Bottom