Panniers or Rucsack and Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have found this for my EX bag-
http://www.wiggle.co..._EX/5360022938/

looking at some pics does the cover actually protect the whole bag or just the racktop bit?
[attachment=597:images.jpg]

[attachment=598:images (1).jpg]

Also why do you get cool silver and I get yellow
sad.gif

The one in Halfords covers the Panniers - it's in Silver. They do a yellow one two, but it doesn't look as though it will fit.

Topeak Cover

nasserblue

That's it I'm persuaded paniers/top rack/saddle bag has shot to the top of my shopping list, forget helmet, forget waterproof booties, forget puncture kit, that sweaty back is really eating into my body heat...

Any suggestions for Brompton?

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Thanks for all the replies folks - looks like there's a range of opinions on this one. I guess I'll try with the rucksack and see how I go.

One other thing that's bugging me a bit is I think, when I bought the Giant, I maybe rushed into it with the view that it would simply be my commuter/hack with the Scott being my 'posh' (though not that posh) bike that was a bit more 'roadie' than the Giant. Having had them both I now basically think that they are 2 very similar in purpose and I wish I hadn't bought the Giant really - aside from this observation I've not found it all that comfortable for reasons explained below - the Scott is fine.

So - my dilemna is whether to:

(a) Persevere with both.
(b) Flog the Giant and either use the Scott as my commuter with some narrower Marathon Plus tyres on and buy a Sirrus for my road bike escque yearnings.
(c ) Flog the Giant and buy something like a Trek 7.3 for my commuter bike which is supposed to be a cracking bike and very comfortable for commuting. Keep the Scott for the other.

I did actually long for a Sirrus Elite when I made the original purchases but it was out of my range then. Since then I have actually introduced the Cycle To Work Scheme at work (nice of me) so if I take the plunge for one, or a Trek, then it won't actually cost too much more.

I guess I'm just curious as to how good the Sirrus is, whether it's a hybrid that can be used on stuff like canal paths etc or whether it is actually a flat bar road bike? What do owners typically think?

I have a crushed disc at the top of my spine which causes real discomfort if the bike ain't comfortable; hence my dissatisfaction with the Giant - I need to be pretty upright so don't want drops really, much as I would like.

Really appreciate the help on here folks - very informative.

Cheers.

runner

Guru
The first thing I did when riding my Defy 1 was put a pannier rack on the back to make my commute to and from Bristol City Centre easier...before doing this I had tried carrying a rusksack which I purchased from a well known bike chain (sounds like heavens :rolleyes: ) but I was very unbalanced...yes I know that the panniers may distract from the overall bike appearance but I can forget they are there and concentrate on the ride.

Crankarm

Guru
Thanks for all the replies folks - looks like there's a range of opinions on this one. I guess I'll try with the rucksack and see how I go.

One other thing that's bugging me a bit is I think, when I bought the Giant, I maybe rushed into it with the view that it would simply be my commuter/hack with the Scott being my 'posh' (though not that posh) bike that was a bit more 'roadie' than the Giant. Having had them both I now basically think that they are 2 very similar in purpose and I wish I hadn't bought the Giant really - aside from this observation I've not found it all that comfortable for reasons explained below - the Scott is fine.

So - my dilemna is whether to:

(a) Persevere with both.
(b) Flog the Giant and either use the Scott as my commuter with some narrower Marathon Plus tyres on and buy a Sirrus for my road bike escque yearnings.
(c ) Flog the Giant and buy something like a Trek 7.3 for my commuter bike which is supposed to be a cracking bike and very comfortable for commuting. Keep the Scott for the other.

I did actually long for a Sirrus Elite when I made the original purchases but it was out of my range then. Since then I have actually introduced the Cycle To Work Scheme at work (nice of me) so if I take the plunge for one, or a Trek, then it won't actually cost too much more.

I guess I'm just curious as to how good the Sirrus is, whether it's a hybrid that can be used on stuff like canal paths etc or whether it is actually a flat bar road bike? What do owners typically think?

I have a crushed disc at the top of my spine which causes real discomfort if the bike ain't comfortable; hence my dissatisfaction with the Giant - I need to be pretty upright so don't want drops really, much as I would like.

Really appreciate the help on here folks - very informative.

Cheers.

I think you have answered your own questions. The Giant bike you have probably doesn't fit you properly where as the Scott does.

Rack and panniers will always be better than a ruck sack. Years ago when I was young I used to ride a road bike to and from work in and out of London carrying a smallish rucksack on my back stuffed with clothes for work, food and drink. It wasn't really as small or light as I had convinced myself it was. Although I was a lot fitter then than I am now I regularly got back pain and I some times found my balance was impaired having this weight so high up. Also my back became very sweaty which wasn't very pleasant. I then got a new bike, fitted a rack and bought some decent panniers. That was 14 year ago. Since I have never carried a rucksack on my back when cycling. When carrying weight on a bicycle it is far better to have it as low and as near to the frame as possible. Even now if carrying heavy items they go in the bottom of the panniers against the back plate. I also spread weight evenly between sides and the front and rear panniers, especially when on tour. If you carry a significant weight on a bicycle it is going to mean the bike becomes heavy to manouevre. There is no getting around this. Good luck.

twowheelsgood

I'd say it depends on the weight of what you are carrying. As a general rule, panniers, safer, more comfortable and more stable.

However when I commute, my lock, towel and toiletries are all in work, so I carry basically a t-shirt, socks, underwear and trousers. I tend to use a rucksack. I heartily recommend one from "Deuter", featherweight, waterproof and with a mesh and airgap with a breathable back. Mine is a "vector" model and cost about a tenner in a sport shop bargain bin 5 years or so ago.

As for your bike. The tyres are the issue, I barely feel the panniers at all on my commuter. Suggest 28c Panaracer Paselas or the like. Also consider a different stem to give a sportier, less upright riding position. Most hybrids are unecessarily clunky from the box but can be tuned easily and economically to your needs.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

As for your bike. The tyres are the issue, I barely feel the panniers at all on my commuter. Suggest 28c Panaracer Paselas or the like. Also consider a different stem to give a sportier, less upright riding position. Most hybrids are unecessarily clunky from the box but can be tuned easily and economically to your needs.

Hi

With my neck my feeling is that I need a more upright position rather than a sport one as it's craning my neck upwards that gives me the problem. Part of the reason for looking at the Sirrus is that most of them have a 4 position adjustable stem which 'should' help my degree of comfort.

Take your point about tyres though - am going to fit the Scott with a spare set of 28c Marathon + that I have. I know they are not the sportiest but they'll certainly roll better than the 35c on the Giant and may be a pretty good trade off between speed/comfort and p****re resistance.

Am erring towards selling the Giant and seeing how I go with the other to be honest.

I've used saddlebag, pannier and rucksack in my time. Currently I'm using a rucksack on my mtb for commuting.

My experience has been -

Saddlebag - lovely thing to have aesthetically. Makes fitting lights a bit trickier. Generally too small for commuting (at least for me).
Panniers - good, but pick up a lot of muck from the roads. Prefer them to using a rucksack when on a drop bar bike.
Rucksack - good, but very occasionally get a sweaty back. Preferred when on my mtb.

Of the 3, I find rucksack the most comfortable all-round bag and the best compromise between comfort and capacity at present.

Just my 2p.

I prefer panniers apart from the sweaty back problem I also find that a Rucksack can sometimes move about my back I prefer having a weight that remains in one place. If you can get away with a lighter load in a backpack why not do the same with a single pannier.

37mm tyres on your bike will easily handle light off road (canal path/gravel), I've got 37mm conti city contacts on the Ridgeback and they handle things, no problem. If anything I'd like to change them for 28mm but as my commute is short (5 miles at the present and infrequent) and they've not worn out yet I haven't bothered so far. 28mm tyres would handle it no problem too.

Narrower tyres and a lighter pannier I think will make the world of difference on a 11mile commute.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I'd still stick with Marathon+ for commuting personally. Once you've got them on it's worth it. But I didn't read the OP properly and I'd agree that you could go for tyres that are a bit narower.

As I said, I'd always use panniers for my "freight" journeys once a week or so, but for sheer joy I don't really want to be carrying anything - even a light rucksack will make you sweat buckets.

Have taken that advice and this evening have put a set of 700 x 28c Marathon Plus tyres on the Scott and am going to give that a go as my only bike for a while. Seems to make sense and I see no logic in persevering riding a bike that's just plain uncomfortable, I don't want another hybrid as a second bike - I need to get a hybrid that's fit for it's purpose (commute/winter training) and the Scott fits that description. If that don't work I'll swap it out for one that does then any second bike can serve a different purpose - maybe a road bike after the winter.

Lesson learned for me - more consideration needed before buying in future. ;)

Top Bottom