Panniers: This or That?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrfacetious

Veteran
I'd better start off with some apologies (not good first words on a forum). It might seem a bit obnoxious (?) of me to make my first post one concerning myself, which would not normally be the case with me, so i am sorry. I don't plan to make this (too) regular :laugh:..
I've just started to really get into riding recently and am looking to buy a triple pannier set, for occasional commuting and for day excursions, but with the thought of long distance and touring involved. Therefore I'm assuming I need something a bit more durable, and with a larger capacity. That's where I'm torn. I've found (for roughly the same price between £30 and £40) two different sets.
The first would seem to be the more obvious option (I don't know if i'm allowed to post links so I'll give a description),
the Raleigh Avenirs (40l with a 10 year guarantee, and the added security of a big name),
or
"M-Wave 600 Denier"s with 62l capacity and from the same shop i bought my bike (online), but the disadvantage of a much shorter warranty, a lesser known name. Oh and they're not waterproof.

both have detachable rucksacks, which is just great for me.

Is it worth the risk for the extra 22l? is M-Wave actually better known than i think (or something)? or can somebody recommend a better set again within the same price range (i can stretch to about £50 at present but i'm keeping my options open). Also I've just bought a large-ish saddle bag, will the top of the pannier set interfere with this?
thanks in advance

Tynan

Veteran
waterproof is good but many say just use a bin liner inside

if you can stretch to it, Ortleib Rollers are superb and worth every penny

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
thanks Tynan, i checked them out; they look great, but they're out of my price range :
if that's what you need to pay for durability though i'll certainly start saving. Can you get a triple set of those? Or a seperate pack just to clip onto the top maybe? I had a quick look but nothing really jumped out at me. My apologies these are looking to be my first set so it's not really an area of expertise for me..

Archie

Errrr.....
mrfacetious said:
Is it worth the risk for the extra 22l? is M-Wave actually better known than i think (or something)? or can somebody recommend a better set again within the same price range (i can stretch to about £50 at present but i'm keeping my options open). Also I've just bought a large-ish saddle bag, will the top of the pannier set interfere with this?
thanks in advance

OK, well the first thing that occurs to me is why you want a triple when you already have a saddlebag? Yes, this will interfere with triple panniers.

Next is what you actually want from your panniers. Tynan's recommendation of the Ortlieb back rollers is sound, but if your just experimenting for now I'd go for something cheap-as-chips as a proof of concept exercise. That's what I did and my one surviving cheapo pannier is used for the bottle bank, takeaways and pub trips now.

However if your sure commuting and touring will be part of your future life you won't regret buying the Ortliebs. Hell, even if you do you'll get most of your money back for as-new Ortliebs on Ebay.

No opinion on the options you've given, but personally I'd save for the Ortliebs as they're bombproof for what you want to do.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tynan said:
waterproof is good but many say just use a bin liner inside
those plastic duffle bag style of shopping bag that some shoe and clothes shops give out are really useful in that regard (although i use mine in a rucksack), if you buy anything at an apple store, make sure you get a big bag, they seem to last a long time.

Archie

Errrr.....
mrfacetious said:
cheers archie, good idea with the cheapies. I'm sick of bungie strapping everything to the rack is all. I'll definitely give it a shot.

No worries. One thing that occurred is a saddlebag may not actually prevent a triple. I'm giving my age away here :smile:, but when I were a lad saddlebags sat on the flat bit of the rack. Nowadays they mean bags attached to saddles so if small enough not a problem.

These are the ones I got originally and even if you get something more expensive later you can still use them for the stuff you want to save your good ones from. Or if your set on a triple these are pretty cheap.

JohnRedcoRn

everybody unanimously sings the praises of the ortleibs but i really prefer the idea of extra pockets / compartments, that way i could do away with my seat pack too ; i currently strap it on to the side of my rack like a mini-pannier as i'm sick of having to move my rear light according to which luggage i'm using. would the altura drylines or orkneys reallly be a false economy as opposed to the ortleibs ? is there not ANYTHING available in the £70 - £80 bracket thats made of the waterproof shell of the ortleibs but also has pockets or organisers?
and does anyone rate the altura drylines? they do get good magazine reccomendations

helmet tester

this is very wierd ; after i forgot my password i had to re - register under a new name. however, when i use my pc at work i'm still popping up as the old name - so the above post and this one are both me with different names. this is a bit odd. better be careful or i might cause a crack in space / time and all hell will break loose. or something. sdrawkcab gniog gnitirw ekil

any opinions on my panier question?

stewie griffin

Über Member
Archie said:
These are the ones I got originally and even if you get something more expensive later you can still use them for the stuff you want to save your good ones from. Or if your set on a triple these are pretty cheap.

SJS have been flogging loads of these on eBay, some on there now, I paid £15 inc P&P, they go for between £4-£15 + £7ish P&P A PAIR!!
Very suprised, they are quite nice, you really can't go wrong at this price!:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
they were the first pair I ever bought and they were shoot really, not waterproof, and I never worked out what the elastic straps were for, they were for ever hooking onto things they sholn't have and eventually all frayed from rubbing on the back wheel, and now and then they fell off the bike

you get what you pay for, you really do

stewie griffin

Über Member
Tynan said:
they were the first pair I ever bought and they were shoot really, not waterproof, and I never worked out what the elastic straps were for, they were for ever hooking onto things they sholn't have and eventually all frayed from rubbing on the back wheel, and now and then they fell off the bike

you get what you pay for, you really do

All that can be sorted with a little imagination.

I bought them for my first front set, not bothered about them being waterproof at the moment.

I did say "you can't go wrong at this price", I'm not saying they are the best.

Tynan

Veteran
I can only assume they fit your bike better than mine then, the hooks didn't secure them on their own and the straps and hooks at best make it an ag to remove them, I never found a sensible way to attach them to the bike, they too long and too elastic and the s hooks were too big

for me

stewie griffin

Über Member
Tynan said:
I can only assume they fit your bike better than mine then, the hooks didn't secure them on their own and the straps and hooks at best make it an ag to remove them, I never found a sensible way to attach them to the bike, they too long and too elastic and the s hooks were too big

for me

It's all about expectations, I expected some really cheap bags & when they arrived they were better than I thought they'd be.

I agree the elastic straps are crap, as soon as I saw them I knew I'd be replacing them with something else (like the end of a bungee), so simple to sort out they are only looped round themselves (even a bungee right round the bag if you want real security).

I haven't used them in anger yet but they seem to fit my cheapo front racks well.

They have steel hooks (which I agree are right at the bottom end of the light weight techie scale) can be made to come off easily or not at all if you prefere, & anywhere in between.

They are "shower proof" but as you said, you can use a liner if you want waterproof.

I'm not going to defend them anymore, people complain at length about the most expensive (best?) equipment, so its very easy to knock the cheapo stuff, some of which IS $#it.

I stand by what I've said, I think they can't be beaten for the money.:girl:

JohnRedcoRn

i've banged on incessantly and still cant make my mind up ; not buying cheapies but not going to spend over £80 either (not planning to do a mark beaumont in the forseeable)....
ortlieb 100% waterproof or altura drylines. i really cant decide between 100% waterproofs or ones with liners. problem being i want pockets/compartments but the ortliebs, whilst apparently bombproof, only have one compartment. So i think the alturas with the inner liner and pockets may be the answer - i have to go for all-round value and i'm trying to minimise my luggage, so the organiser pockets would mean i could leave my seatpack at home (dont want tools, tube keys, phone etc etc rattling round one big compartment.)

Top Bottom