Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm thinking of ditching my Carradice for commuting and moving to panniers. I know you get what you pay for but Ortliebs are very expensive, are there any truly waterproof (and I mean waterproof, think laptop in bag) panniers out there for less or should I just bite the bullet and go Ortlieb?

hopless500

Trundling along
M-wave
51fxsXN69VL._AA160_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Wave-Albe...id=1438370532&sr=8-17&keywords=m+wave+pannier

Definitely 100% waterproof. Mine got a serious testing earlier this month :okay:

edit/ just to add - these have the roll top fastening inside same as Ortlieb, plus an additional velcro strap

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Ortlieb vote from me. They will save you in the long run.

I have just toured for 3 weeks in Europe with their front and rear Bike Packer Plus panniers.

Pannier-collage.jpg

Excellent. They should last for years.

I rode 83 miles around Snowdonia last weekend for about 6 hours of very inclement weather (so typical N Wales....) with an Altura Dryline pannier on a Topeak DX rack - and although everything (me included) was soaked by the end, the inside of the pannier was bone dry. Can't do better than that I suggest.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Basil are waterproof if you put the rain cover on. Withstood an absolute deluge a few weekends ago. Probably wouldn't last all day but was fine after an hour.

Ortliebs every time for me, did a short break in Guernsey and a recent 2 day in IOW, and whilst I have never had a laptop inside, I wouldn't hesitate.

Would need some padding tho!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I filled an Ortlieb large rack bag with water and not a drop escaped. It never let me down at keeping water out either.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use Ortlieb Front Roller Classics on the commute. I got them for £65 at Evans - keep an eye out on deals on the web. SJS had them for £65 plus postage, but Evans prie matched - all over the net, so just selected delivery to a local store for free and collected a couple of days later on my way home.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm another Ortlieb fan and mine do look a little battered now but they are about 6 years old and still keeping out the water. My first panniers which cost half the price barely lasted 18 months and it was a faff having to stop to put on the rain cover, which didn't cover the entire pannier either. You can get spare parts for them too.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I too got mine in the Evans sale in January. I got all 4 for just under £200. I think Evans have the rear Bike Packer Plus panniers at £143 at the moment.

Top Bottom