Panniers..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rnscotch

Veteran
Don't worry this is not another what panniers thread...

After 18 months of non stop use my cheap panniers have finally given up the ghost so it's time too renew i have whittled down my options to two contenders for my money "Basil Forest Rear rider" and the "Altura Fusion".

So i am looking for comments from people who have used either Basil or Altura before..

OP
OP
rnscotch

rnscotch

Veteran
So no one uses either brand of pannier?.. or knows of anyone that does?.. :tongue:

john59

Guru
Sorry, Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Pannier user here. I'm sure someone will come along with some advice.

John

J4CKO

I have the Altura Orkney 36 litre pair, very pleased with them, tend to use just one most days but had to cart a Nintendo Wii and much associated gubbins to work yesterday, everyone assumes I will revert to the car if I have to carry anything more than a small towel :tongue:

The cheaper Altura Panniers seemed a bit flimsy compared to the Orkneys, I went in about to buy the cheaper ones (cant remember the name) but decided to spend the extra, glad I did, they now look nice and grubby, wouldnt go back to a rucksack.

oscarplu

Über Member
I use a pair Altura Dry Line panniers, they are of excellent quality, ive used them in some real heavy down pours and everything inside has stayed bone dry, i would highly recommend them.

OP
OP
rnscotch

rnscotch

Veteran
Both are 20L single panniers and both are waterproof.. just the build quality i was wondering about as in my experience with Altura it can be a bit hit n miss some things they do are great and other things not so.

As for Basil i have never heard of them and after some searching all i know is they are from The Netherlands, and seem to have an excellent reputation amongst the Dutch and Danish commuters. They are also very neat-looking. looks like i am going to be the guinea pig if i go for them.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Do the "Basil Rear Rider":eek: whatevers actually have that written on them anywhere? That would be reason enough not to get them, at least not in certain parts of the country.......:biggrin:

OP
OP
rnscotch

rnscotch

Veteran
lol.. no just says Basil on em.

TimP

Altura baggage in our household:
Orkney bar bag with many years of use - good so far
Dry Line panniers - about a year of use - very good so far, and seem to be a good balance of value for money, get used for commuting
Dry Line rack top bag - few years of commuting duty, kept all contents dry so far
Can't remember the model name, but the one with welded seams - keeps things dry, but has not pockets.

Generally the Altura kit we've got is not the best kit available type stuff, but is bought based upon being good kit and value for money.

Zorro

Veteran
Have got the Altura urban (briefcase style). only fits on one side of the pannier rack but plenty big enough. I did have the altura dryline 56L but due to my clown feet had to return them as i couldn't pedal with them on.

i've got an altura dryline briefcase - its great except for no padding over the mounting clasps when using it as a satchel.

gavintc

Guru
You can make a pannier waterproof with plastic bin liners and so on. However, spend some time looking at the attachment arrangements. I bought some cheap ones and found that they were hopeless in how they attached to the rack - took them straight back and bought some Altura. I cannot remember the name - 36 lt each and I have been impressed by them. You need to be able move them back and forward on the rack to ensure they do not foul your heel and they need some sort of arrangement to stop them flapping like a spaniel's ears.

monnet

Guru
Ortlieb back roller classic user here too. Used for commuting every day for 18 months no signs of wear at all. My boss bought a pair on my recommendation for a touring holiday he was going on - he was very impressed too. Hopefully that'll help secure this year's bonus!

Top Bottom