Pannonia Popular

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So I have been watching this slide down in price over the last few months on Facebook and Gumtree and it hit the point where I felt I could offer what I wanted to pay and get it accepted. Which I did so I am not the proud owner of this Hungarian Pannonia Popular with a 3 Speed SA AG Hub, dated 1980.

Its in pretty decent nick but needs to TLC, how ever with some air in the tyres it was fine for a spin around the block. The paint is metallic which does not show too well in the photos and the decals really add to the look I think.

This is to be a budget repair for now so the plan of action is

Give everything a clean and degrease
Replace the brake cables & blocks (From stock)
Replace the Tyres and Tubes ( I have some Delta Cruisers that where for my Wayfarer but not been needed yet, also have some tubes)
Removed the Dynamo Lighting for later repair
Straighten up the Handlebars / Wheel alignment
Index the hub (Hopefully it does not need a new cable as I do not have one)
Sort the pedals, I have some metal rattrap ones somewhere in storage but I am without my workshop so might try and get a cheap set of eBay.

As you can see I should be able to do most of this with what I have in stock, so hopefully can be up and running in a week or so and I can see how it rides for real, once I know I can decide if its a keeper or one to pass on.

Some pics

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Those cables need sorting out though.
Nice bike.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Those cables need sorting out though.
Nice bike.

Yes once the lights come off I will get some clips sorted for the brake and hub cables.

It's not a beauty queen but man, that has some kitsch appeal! That's such a nice find. Do you mind sharing how much you got it for?

It does doesn't it. I think cleaned up with a front wire basket it would be a proper hipster ride.

I paid £25 which was £5 more than I wanted to pay, but also £75 less than the seller had it listed for originally, as I have most the parts in stock from the Wayfarer project I thought it was worth getting it.

There is a trader locally who buys most of the cheaper Vintage bikes and sells them on quite quickly and he seems to make a decent mark-up so I cam quite surprised this one lasted so long for me to get it.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Went out for a few miles, really fun but got a blowout on the way back, luckily 200m from my house.

IMG_20210308_134742.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I paid £25 which was £5 more than I wanted to pay, but also £75 less than the seller had it listed for originally,

That's my sort of project budget. Nice and cheap and the money you save by not overpaying in the beginning can then be spent on sorting it out and ending up with something that's enjoyable and reliable to ride.
Whilst all cable braked 3-speeds are pretty similar in the way they ride, I really like the fact that it's just that little bit unusual and out of the ordinary, but at the same time it has the trusty SA hub gear that you know will just always work so long as it gets a squirt of oil.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Spent an hour or so last night taking the lights off and replacing the tubes and tyres. Also fixed the chain case alignment as that was causing a lot of noise. Just waiting on the SJS order I did last week to replenish some supplies so I can sort the brakes properly.

Interestingly I think it originally had a Shimano 333 on it, but the back wheel has been swapped as it is a Raleigh one, I am happy with that. I am thinking wire basket on the front and then just ride it as is, will be ideal for nipping up to work, as I just have done on it, or for going a quick trip to the shops.

It feels and rides much twitchier than my Wayfarer, it is a little lighter, but other than that they are almost the exact same size, so it must come from the narrow bars.

You might be able to see on the video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fim3TLAyhwo

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Main frame geometry looks normal enough for a 3-speed, angles fairly slack. The forks don't seem to have that much offset though, maybe that is the cause of the different handling? Normally slack angled frames go with more fork offset, and steeper angled ones with sporting pretensions have less offset.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Really enjoyed the last week of riding this bike, done a few nice errands on it. Added a basket today and have a rack coming and a rear basket.

Also fitted a kickstand and Dutch frame lock with plugin cable so it's made nipping places very simple.

In the last week as well as the accessories added I have replaced the brake cable and blocks, the blocks are cheap ones from SJS and they seemed ok today, rubbish in the wet but ok in the dry. I think I'll try and get some weinmann brakes like I have done on my Raleigh.

IMG_20210316_141336.jpg

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
After a quite a few trips to work this week and some shopping trips, I have really been pleased with the Pannonia, I have a new crankset for it and new pedals as the threads are currently dodgy, but it's fine for riding, hopefully get those fitted soon.

In the meanwhile it has been treated to a rear basket & rack to increase its carrying capacity. The rack is period to the bike, but the basket ( and the front one ) is new. Got a bit of kit to take to work tomorrow so lets see how the rear basket works out.

Top Bottom