Pannonia Princess

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I had a Pannonia for a 3 or 4 months earlier this year and I used it as a work horse before selling it on.

My mother in law expressed an interest now she is retired in trying to ride a bike again. She tried a few years ago but couldn't handle the gears or roads.

So after a long chat with her she agreed she would like a three speed and she is happy to stick to the newly installed cycle infrastructure.

This popped up on facebook and I think it's ideal for her. It currently has a Shimano 3 speed and 27 X 1 1/4 rims.

I am planning on a replacing the handlebars with a more swept back version, new saddle, new tyres and tubes. Then some serious rust removal and new cables and it should be back on the road.

It's going to be a suprise so hopefully get it done over the next month or so.

IMG_20210904_095801.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great that MiL is getting into cycling, good for her.
You need to be aware that the bike is going to be around fifty or more years old. Should be restorable but I should strip it right down and remove everything so it will be up to the job. I'm sure you'll want it to be safe for her.
The 27" wheels mean you'll have but more limited tyre choice. These people seem to have some:
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/
Continental Tour Rides are good, so are Schwalbe Marathons.
Also if the rims are chrome they won't stop well if at all in the wet, but there are pads which can help with that. Those side pull brakes were never very good even when new.
Is the 3 speed serviceable? It won't get her up steeper hills.
Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I have a few vintage bike so know the pitfalls of the brakes. The rims are not chrome they look the same as what I had on my other Pannonia and they where ok when setup right. But I'll measure up for some of the dual pivot ones that SJS sell that can be retro fitted.

3 speed seems ok, but I have not had chance to give it a proper test yet. We have some steep hills around here but, there is no way she would ride anything with more gears, she would settle of a single speed but I convinced her a little help would be useful. I'll probably stick a 22T on it to make things easier. Her main reason for wanting it is a 1.5 mile trip to and from my sister in law's where she helps look after the kids after school and that is flat.

It's going to have a full strip down expect some questions :-)

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So here we are 6 weeks later and ready to roll. Bike was fully stripped down except for the wheels and all bearing where replaced and new grease applied where required. I fitted some new handlebars to make it more beach cruiser style in geometry as this is what is wanted. The saddle is not my choice but I am not the one riding it.

New chain, tyres, cables and brake blocks make for a very nice ride of a bike. Only thing I am not happy about are the pedals, I will find something suitable soon, but these are ugly but actually quite serviceable. I have tidies the cables up since the picture and will get the saddle height and handle bars position tweaked with the MIL, I used the wife as my test subject and she is a bit smaller hence the slammed saddle.

It rides very well and the Shimano Hub shifts like a dream, the brakes are a Weinmann copy and they certainly stop as well as any vintage bike I have ridden.

Overall very happy with the project, probably cost £60 all in.

Top Bottom