Paper IHT400 form

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
The other thing my Dad always jokes about is the fact that the buffet at the funeral is tax deductible too.
When he dies his advice to me is fill your boots, the tax man will be paying 40% of it.
I don’t actually know if this is correct but it keeps him happy.

The cost of the wake is an acceptable expense whether IHT is owed or not, but it does reduce the amount on which IHT is payable so you are technically correct. So your old man is likely to have an Estate that will exceed £325k?

Crankarm

Guru
can it not be filled in online ?

No, well it couldn't when I applied for my Dad's Estate. It might have changed.

Crankarm

Guru
Hi Chris

Are you completely sure you need to print the form off? I followed this link (admittedly not all the way to the end) and it seems to imply that the form can sent in electronically even if tax is due and all that is needed is a reference number. Once you have that they should accept the form electronically just as happens with paying tax due after self-assessment. The preceding web page has some guidance notes.

If the probate office can't help then your local HMRC office should help instead.

See above. When I did all this in Spring 2017 you had to print off the forms, complete them long hand then submit them. It might have now changed so applicants can submit them electronically or indeed complete the application on line, but maybe not. They weren't particularly onerous forms to complete although that depends on 1) your abilities to understand such documents and what is required of you 2) the complexity of the deceased's affairs.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
The cost of the wake is an acceptable expense whether IHT is owed or not, but it does reduce the amount on which IHT is payable so you are technically correct. So your old man is likely to have an Estate that will exceed £325k?
I don't know about where you live but even a semi in a half-way decent part of Birmingham would set you back about 300k.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As with @Soltydog , I can print them off and send them to you FOC. Msg if you wanna take me up on it.

Top Bottom