parenting scenario

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 2790260, member: 45"]Year 7 son tells you that his mate, a pretty nice lad, claims to have stolen a pair of trainers from the changing room. Son has told him that he doesn't think it's on. You know the boy's mom.

What do you do, if anything?[/quote]

I wouldn't do anything. The kid is too young, they say the silliest things. Potential big problems over a pair of trainers that may, or may not, have been stolen. Different scenario if you see him wearing them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
First off, give yourself a pat on the back for bringing the lad up right.

Second, wait & see for a day or two...maybe your son's response will bring about a good resolution. What happens next kind of depends on what happens. I wouldn't personally be in any rush to try to resolve it: you've heard an anecdotal story at second hand, what if you 'tell her the truth' and it turns out to be not entirely true, and she takes it the wrong way. I'd want to be very sure of my ground - and my relationship with the mum - before taking it any further. Think also about how whatever you do will play out in school, in terms of your lad, her lad and the wider community. You don't, eg, want your son getting a reputation as a snitch.

Definitely my initial response would be to avoid rushing into anything. More broadly, think about what end result you'd like to see, and what - if anything - you can do to help that come about.

Not an easy one. Good luck.

buggi

Bird Saviour
its a conundrum... If you do something, your kid is a grass. BUT if you don't then you're not sending the right message to your kid. Depends what you think is worse. But I know this... My mum or dad would have done something if i told them something like that. They are not my "best friends" they are my parents and it is their job to show me right from wrong. It would have mortified me at the time (like the time i had to clean ALL the graffiti at the park bcoz i wrote something in chalk!) but i now have good morals and values

MarkF

Guru
Ah, you've seen them, not good for you, I think you are obligated to talk to the mother. It's better for the kid to know that there is a consequence (one he might not like) to his actions.

Btw a friend of my lad stole something after a sleepover. I approached his mother, kid admitted it, item returned, end of story. We all do silly things when we are young, my son and his friend are still pals, nothing changed.

Canrider

Guru
[QUOTE 2790260, member: 45"]Year 7 son tells you that his mate, a pretty nice lad, claims to have stolen a pair of trainers from the changing room. Son has told him that he doesn't think it's on. You know the boy's mom.

What do you do, if anything?[/quote]
To Mum 'Where did you get X's new trainers from, (my kid is pestering me for a pair)?'

Or, if you know her well enough, just tell her what your kid said to you--they're seven, it's not grassing when you can't be relied on to tie your own laces yet.

On a more serious note....

If a child of this age rolled up with apair of new trainers, or a pair of used one then there is a high likelihood that the parent will notice

pplpilot

Guru
How would you feel if your lad came home and said he'd had his trainers nicked that you or he had saved for / worked hard to buy?
Needs nipping in the bud if you ask me...

Sara_H

Guru
To Mum 'Where did you get X's new trainers from, (my kid is pestering me for a pair)?'

Or, if you know her well enough, just tell her what your kid said to you--they're seven, it's not grassing when you can't be relied on to tie your own laces yet.
Are they 7? I read it as year 7, so age 11/12.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[/quote]
Year 7 - that's, what, 12 or 13? Definitely old enough to better. Have a quiet word with his mum.

Top Bottom