Parents - have you checked your child's seat height recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I am owning up to knowing that my son's saddle needed to go up for a while now, but at the weekend we put it up an inch - tested him on it, and ended up putting it up another full inch or more:ohmy::blush:.

Just in case there are any other forgetful parents out there who needed a reminder.

All credit to you and your son, but I was under the impression that most kids' bikes these days have the saddle set at about the height of the chainstays...;)

Mr Pig

Every time they go on the bikes. All their bikes have quick-release posts and I explain to them the correct height to have the seat. Last night I took the two youngest off road though so had them lower. First time they've been on their bikes for ages :0(

Seemingly everytime he gets on it it needs adjusting. If I have to raise it anymore I won't be able to reach the peddles on his bike. He is already wearing trousers with a longer inside leg than me. 13 and 6'2"

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Aye, my youngest needs her seat raising, knees around her ears when pedalling along, but then she's happier that when stopped she can put her feet flat on the ground...

One of my fave "cyclist helping out non-cyclist" moments was advising a friend (we were on a joint family holiday) who is well over 6ft that he'd find it easier to ride (he was moaning) if he raised his seat a bit. Helped him find a good height for it, he went out for a ride and came back really full of it, having enjoyed it far more than (he said) ever before. ;) He still rides regularly (but hasn't got the bug, if you see what I mean) :biggrin:

Ben M

Piemaster said:
Seemingly everytime he gets on it it needs adjusting. If I have to raise it anymore I won't be able to reach the peddles on his bike. He is already wearing trousers with a longer inside leg than me. 13 and 6'2"

Your son is 13 and is six foot two?!

Ben M said:

My son is nine and he passed 5ft about a month or so ago. Well, with a 6ft 5in dad and 6ft mum he didn't really have much chance, did he? :eek: :ohmy:

Seat heights regularly checked, but they still catch you out (the little blighters!). As stated further up, I see so many lads riding BMX-type bikes with the seat clamp touching the frame tube it isn't funny. No wI understand about a low saddle so it's out of your way for stunting/off-roading, but to have it so low your heels hit you up the jacksie when you are pedalling, what's that all about? xx(

Fnaar said:
Aye, my youngest needs her seat raising, knees around her ears when pedalling along, but then she's happier that when stopped she can put her feet flat on the ground...
<snip>
Same here with Littlest-LC. Though I'm not above sneaking her seat up a few mm at a time when she's not watching .. she doesn't notice it and I can gradually get her up to something a bit more sensible. But she's gone on to a slightly bigger bike and so wanted the seat "nice and low" again. xx(

Little-LC is a bit more relaxed about it so I regularly shift hers up: she wants to go fast and knows that she can go faster if she can pedal better.

Ben M said:

Yup. One of the lads at the lbs is around 6 foot 5 / 6 inches. He says he was that at 14 and stopped growing at that point. I hope it applies to my lad as well. Clothing (and feeding him for that matter) is getting pricey. Cost £60 for 2 pairs of jeans last time my wife took him out for some. Mine come from Tescos.

Think thats tall? Ever been to Holland. People there are huge. The worlds tallest nation.
Going for our hols there this year so will be having a look in clothes shops for him.

Top Bottom